Olaparib (Lynparza)

• 5 replies
  • 323 subscribers

Hi everyone 

It's been a while since I was last on here and a lot has happened.  I've had 6 rounds of chemotherapy, a double mastectomy, 15 rounds of radiotherapy and now I have been started on Olaparib for 1 year as a preventative.  They started me on the highest dose but going into my 2nd cycle unfortunately it has had to be paused as started to make me sick.  Is there anyone else that is taking it as a preventative and how are you finding it.  I stopped taking it Monday and my tummy is only just starting to feel better today.  I'm awaiting a C.T scan on my abdomen then once they get the all clear from that they will start it again on a lower dose.

• Hi HumbleB,

I'm sorry to read that you have had such a rough start with olaparib. I took it from May 2022-May 2023 as a preventative treatment to reduce my recurrence risk for tnbc. For me, I felt like I had a kind of flu for the first 1-2 weeks when taking it, but that disappeared. Then, probably for the first month or so I would get light headed and dizzy sometimes, particularly when exercising. However, after 1-2 months those side effects disappeared completely and I didn't have any noticeable SE. My kidney function decreased during the wear when I took it, and my oncologist said it was important to drink lots of water to help, also my white blood cell count was always very low. When you say you're going into your second cycle, is that the second box or do you have an infusion? I took 4 x tablets per day.

I hope that the same will happen for you and the side effects will reduce due to the lower dose and that your body will adjust to the medication.

x

• Thank you for reaching out.  The first box was fine but going into the second box I started to feel very tired and ued I times dizzy but then this sickness happened as well.  I too was taking 4 tablets a day I am also taking tamoxifen.  Even though I've not been taking the olaparib for 5 days now I still feel very nauseous and finding eating quite hard.  I am drinking plenty as much as I can.  I hope it gets sorted soon

• Yes, I hope that it will soon settle down for you, I imagine it's the last thing you want to be dealing with after you've already been through so much recently. Has your doctor advised that you wait for the nausea to die down before restarting? x

• I have to wait for a C.T scan on my abdomen to make sure everything is ok.  Then I'll have another chat with my oncology team.  The plan is as long as everything is ok then to re-start on a lower dose.  Even though I've stopped taking it for almost a week now I'm still suffering with feeling sick it's affecting how I eat.  Which upsets me cause I love my food.  

• I can imagine it's not pleasant to feel that way for so long. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your scan and that the results come back clear. xx