Pros cons of hormone therapy & Radiotherapy

• 5 replies
  • 325 subscribers

Hello Slight smile 

I am 3 weeks post surgery IDC grade 2, 8mm tumour, lumpectomy, clear margin, & nothing found in lymph nodes. I'm very lucky.

I am debating whether the 1.2% re hormone therapy & 3% radiotherapy

(I think I have the right way round percentage wise) is it worth taking a risk, by not having them both. 

I was told Quality of Life and for such a small % of survival of 'The Predict' ten years scenario. 

Has anyone else decided not to go ahead with treatment after surgery considering my circumstances if similar.. i.e tiny tumour, caught early, clear margin, nothing in Lymphs taken. 

Any positive feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Stay strong. 

Annie x

• It is a personal decision.  I had the radiotherapy and started hormone therapy but the side effects were not conducive to me "getting on with my life".  Nobody can tell you whether cancer will come back, it is a gamble.  I wish you well with your decision. p.s. I have had two clear mammograms and feel great.

• Hi  

My diagnosis was exactly as yours in the 8mm IDC with no lymph involvement. Er and Pr +. Mine was screening detected. I'm 59 now.

I did opt for 5 sessions of radiotherapy and am now 2.5 years into Arimidex ( anastrazole) . The hormone therapy has not been without its issues but I am managing much better with a switch to the more expensive branded version Arimidex. Counting the months though!

As has been said it is such a personal decision that only you can make. I wanted to feel that I had done everything I could to prevent a recurrance. Have I been " overtreated" ? Possibly but I will never know and I have made peace with that.

Just one thing to be aware of if you like to travel ( as I do and even more so now !) Travel insurance ask if you have declined any recommended treatment so be prepared potentially  for higher premiums if you do decide not to have further treatment.

Best wishes for what ever you decide xx

• Thank you for your reply. I'm so pleased for you.

I have other serious medical issues, so I'm trying to go along with Quality of Life. 

Well done, take good care. 

• Thank you-  for your reply, I did not know about travel either, only that it was a positivity the beeper might go off on body scan. 

May I ask when you were diagnosed?

• Hi

I was diagnosed in November 2021