Hair texture change after chemo

• 4 replies
  • 316 subscribers

Hi,

my hair is now straight wavy 3 months after chemo and I am guessing how to maintain it. I have looked online but there are so many different results I’m not sure which one to use. 

can anyone with straight wavy hair give me advice on how to manage it? I’ve noticed it’s flat in the shower and frizzy when dry. Do I need to apply a leave in conditioner daily to prevent frizz? How often do I wash it? 

what shampoo do I use for straight wavy hair ? 

what conditioner do I use for straight  wavy hair? 

im happy with my new hair texture just unsure how to look after it.

I’ve sent a message to my care team and they haven’t replied yet after 2 days. 

thank you so much everyone in advance! 
best wishes! 

• Hi Sonia101,

The growing out of chemo curls goes through many interesting stages! I used my usual shampoo and conditioner and bought some hair straighteners - these helped. When it was dry I used twistedsista gel - a tiny bit to try to sleek it down and stop it frizzing and regular haircuts. 2 years from chemo I have my normal shoulder length hair.

Take care x

• Thank you for your advice x I’m going to listen to everyone’s experience and then decide on what works for me I guess. Mine isn’t chemo curls mine is chemo straight waves ! lol Laughing 

All the best and thanks again x

• Hi, 

Pre chemo I had thick curly hair. I can’t wait to see how it grows back. For wavy/curly hair you need shampoo & conditioner without alcohol. The tigi oatmeal is great (get it on Amazon) Avon oil is really good for curly hair.  I used cantu products, they’re great for frizz control and don’t make your hair crispy. Enjoy your new hair! X

• Hi MartiniA

thanks for your input : ) 

I used Aveeno shampoo and conditioner when it was straight and wavy , now nearly 6 months post chemo, my hair is soft with a looser curl pattern than I had before. I am using Pattern beauty hair products by Tracee Ellis Ross and I love this product range! 
    I’m not sure if my hair will remain as loose curls or change again .

after a year I hope to write an article for Breast cancer now highlighting the different stages of changes in hair texture for people with Afro or curly hair.

I wish there had been more stories out there for people like me.

anyway, all the best with your journey! 
    love and blessings xx