• 8 replies
  • 314 subscribers

Is there anyone else out there in their 70s or 80s diagnosed with breast cancer, most people sém to be much younger.  I am very fit and healthy so hope to have treatment, some older woman seem to just have tablets to hold it at bay. Having a Pet scan next week.

• I was 73 when diagnosed, just had surgery and hormone reducing tablets for 5 years. I’m now 78…..and enjoy as active a life as possible. I try and walk 2-3 miles at least a couple of times a week, sometimes more, do some yoga, sing in a choir, volunteer at a museum, gardening (and the housework of course) and try to get away in the motorhome as often as possible. 

Hope you do as well as possible

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi   sorry you find yourself here but best place to be for info and support , There are quite a few older members here myself included .

My story can be found on my profile just click on my name .

long story short I was diagnosed in 2019 coming up to 70yr old had surgery then chemo then Herceptin and other infusions which finished Jan23 .

5yr mammogram due in June 

Your age will not be a bar to receiving the best treatment your team can give you.

have a browse around the site at different threads jump in with comments or questions you will be welcomed  . There is no such thing as a stupid question except the one you don’t ask so feel free to ask away 

One step at a time and ...Breathe !
    xoxox
    Margaret
  • That cheers me up no end, was so afraid my present activities would be cut short. I go to an art group, play bridge and do a lot of voluntary work for church as well as gardening and household jobs. At the moment am carrying on as usual. The doctor at hospital could not believe I was 85!!! Hope treatment will start soon. Thanks for replying

• Thanks for your encouragment. You will see from my reply to moomy I have a very full life at present. Great to hear others have regained their life after cancer

Many thanks Sue

• Hi I'm 77 and just been diagnosed with er positine and her2-negative breast cancer had a mammogram and ultrasound fortunately it's not spread I have just been put on letrozole as I have liver cirrhosis hope all goes well xx

• Hi good to hear from someone in my age group. I went for a Pet scan yesterday to see if it had spread so am in the waiting game again. Shall be so releaved when I have a treatment plan. I have started on Anastrozol. They said it might be up to a fortnight.

• Hi my Pet scan went ok although a bit of an ordeal. Not much tlc!!! Now I am in the waiting game again they said up to a fortnight. Just want to get on with treatment. I am on Anastrozol.x

• Hi, I am having a mastectomy and lymph gland clearance on April 19th.  My scans were clear so feel I am in a good place. Not looking forward to operation but feel I have been very lucky as should not need further treatment apart from hormone inhibitor. I seem to tolerate that very well so no problem there. My heart goes out to those with less positive outlooks but am so thankful that  even at my age I get such good and fast attention.