Capecitibine

• 1 reply
  • 313 subscribers

My wife has started on a new treatment called capecitibine. She had cancer years ago and got rid of it but last year it came back. She was on the usual chemo but it wasn't working on certain area so she is now on her second week of treatment with a week off every two weeks. Problem with new treatment capecitibine it is really messing with her head. She is not very steady on her feet, she can't remember what she went into a room for, she can't remember anything she had done or said to her less than a minute or so. Now I am not the most patient person in the world but I am really struggling with her and she is struggling memory wise. I just wanted to get this off my ch3st in case anyone else is trying to deal with this. She (lynn) thinks I don't care but obviously I do, i know it's nor nice having cancer but it's difficult for someone caring for the one they love.

• Hi  

I do often think that it can be harder for the carer than the sufferer (whatever the illness) as you are helpless to be able to sort it.  This is particularly so with men, as they are generally 'fixers' aren't they?

What's lovely is that you know you're not a patient person.  Have you told your wife how you feel? Or are you holding back, not wanting to let her know that you're struggling as well?  

It would certainly be worth telling her that you do care, because as you say Lynn thinks that you don't care. 

This link may be useful for you to have a read and hopefully give you some guidance of how to help her and yourself deal with everything.

Kindest Wishes, Lesley

Community Champion Badge