Radiotherapy

• 10 replies
  • 320 subscribers

I’ve been waiting now for radiotherapy for 3 months … had my surgery in October and my oncology appointment in December, just been told won’t start radiotherapy until end of March…. The waiting is really getting to me now 

• Hi El49

Sorry to hear you’ve joined this club and now anxious about your wait. I don’t know what the standard is but I started radiotherapy 8 weeks after surgery. You could try call your BCN and let her know it’s bothering you and you’d prefer to start sooner. You never know unless you ask. Try not to worry too much. Sending hugs. Xx

• Hi El49, sorry to hear you are waiting longer for radiotherapy. I too am concerned about my wait having had my lumpectomy 31st Jan I then had to wait for results of oncotype which scored 20 so not requiring/eligible for chemo but ct scan early April for radiotherapy to start 22nd April. My diagnosis was grade 2 idc and pathology showed node clear but dcis grade 3-4 on chest wall so not clear margin. I am 51 pre menopausal and have just been given prescription for tamoxifen. So much to take in and the unknown is hard. Hugs x

• Hi El49

I had my surgery in November and got my oncology appointment at the end of January. I was told at least 6 to 8 weeks before radiotherapy and as yet I haven't heard anything. The waiting is awful, just want it over and done with.

Apparently up to 6 months is ok xx

• Hi my radiotherapy started 4 months after my surgery 

• I had my surgery end of March, first Oncology appt in May, chemo June-Oct and so didn't start radiotherapy until the end of Nov.

Last year was a long one!  The waiting is the worst.

• I’m sure there are nhs targets for this, I would call the BC nurse and ask if another hospital can fit you in earlier.  Are you er or pr positive?  Have you started letrozole or other inhibitor?  I waited approx 4 mths due to a transfer and 2nd consultant.  The hospital that operated didn’t have radiotherapy equipment . 

• Hi El49

I had my surgery on 11January 2024, consultation in February and starting radiotherapy on 15 March everyday for 2 weeks!  

Which is now causing me a lot of anxiety!! Blush

So please don't worry, they will get back to you. Speak to your MaMillan nurse/BCN for reassurance.

Wishing you all the best. 

This too shall pass

X

• I had my radiotherapy 4 and a half months after my first surgery. Lumpectomy in October, mastectomy in November due to margins. Radiotherapy mid February 

• When i read of all the stories on this forum and in the press at delays in waiting times for treatments and ops,i think back to my waiting times 2 years ago and i waited 5 weeks for first op and 4 weeks for second op,4 weeks for radiotherapy i think where did it go so wrong for these people,cancer used to be treated really quickly and now this seems to be just another nhs problem.kind regards 

• I've now been told by oncology that I've got another 6 to 8 weeks to wait for radiotherapy. That takes me to the end of May, my op was in November. Tried everything to get it quicker but they said the waiting list is horrendous.