Single mastectomy - prosthesis?

• 3 replies
  • 314 subscribers

Hello, I am 78 and was diagnosed with breast cancer in July last year and had a single mastectomy in November.  I am still finding it very difficult to get my head around it all ….

Now and again I have tried wearing a bra and popping in a softie (and even a knitted knocker) but it doesn’t look or feel right.  My own breast looks down and my softie rises up!  It would be laughable if it wasn’t so depressing……!  I feel like a trussed up turkey Worried.

I go without a bra altogether most of the time and I would really like to have the courage to go flat (well, half flat) and if I could find a bra that would support my own breast and not look all crumpled and lumpy on the other side because it’s empty then that might be the answer.  Am I the only one to feel this way?  I know I’ve been very lucky in that the cancer was found - but I hate what it’s done to me.  Then I feel guilty.  I get very weepy when I try to address it all.

Would love to hear from others who have felt like this - and those who are struggling with the same situation.  And from anyone who has managed to get on the right path to suit them.

Good luck to everyone - and thank you for ‘listening’ to me. X

• Hi, i had the same problem, i had a single mastectomy and i could not get used to the chicken fillets or as you amusingly called them knitted knockers haha. I also found it very difficult and depressing as what to do and what to wear. I had large breasts that made it even more difficult as going braless was not an option. This was back in 2004 and my breast surgeon said i could have a mastectomy on the breast left which i said yes to right away and it has been great since being totaly flat. This procedure is not offered anymore so a friend tells me they dont like to take away a healthy breast. I have a friend who is in your situation and together we have found two solutions. No1 she wears the soft sports bra, the ones you pull on no fasteners at the back this supports the one boob and does not look to bad. No2 she buys padded bras that are quite firm and stand up quite well on there own, but she just add some soft material so they dont dent. She only has a small boob so maybe this is the reason it works, it would not of worked for me though. I wear a scarf most of the time to make me feel more comfortable if out and about in public they hide a multitude of things. I have heard of a group on facebook i think and its aimed at women who are left with one boob or have had a double mastectomy maybe they could offer some different advice. All the best x

• Hi Expatm, I had a single mastectomy at Xmas. I returned for follow up to see Oncologist and then saw a lady in the bra shop within the unit. I was given a new bra and a prosthetic boob.  This fits me well and I was also given a shallow prosthetic for the other boob to match them up. These fit well and appear quite normal once the bra is on. 
    I’m in Nottingham and under City Hospital breast institute. Do you have access to somewhere similar that you know of? 
    Sending big hugs Hugging xx

Alfie 24

• Hi, I had a single mastectomy 2 years ago when I was 46.

I have also tried the softy and the knitted knocker which as you say rises up when you wear them so I end up with wonky looking boobs.

I bought a silicone prosthesis which is a lot better as the weight stops it from rising, although I know some people say they feel heavy if you’ve got a bigger bust, I think you can get them free on the NHS if you contact your breast care nurse. I still think there’s a slight difference but hopefully other people aren’t going round staring at my boobs so won’t notice.

I’ve only got a small boob, which I’m quite pleased about now as its not that noticeable if I go out braless with my coat on, although I’m not brave enough to go out braless in the summer as I feel too self conscious.

Nicola Jane sell mastectomy bras and I know they hold a fitting clinic in the Macmillan centre at my local hospital, I don’t know if they have anything like that where you live so you could go for a bit of advice.

As wino said there is a Facebook group called flat friends for people who have had a mastectomy & I think it gives you advice on clothing as well.

sending you best wishes

x