BRCA GENE ???

• 5 replies
  • 314 subscribers

Hi all. 

I was diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer over a year ago. Had treatment surgery etc which was all successful . Thank goodness.

However my question is  , Because I had triple negative does this mean i would need to be tested for the BRCA gene ?

Carol

xx

• Hi Boo359

I wondered about that too. My consultant gave me the impression that because of my age at diagnosis (66), my daughter had nothing to worry about. Is that right?

• Same here. I'm 66 this year .

• I was told testing stops at 60, but because I am 61 with 2 maternal relatives with breast and ovarian cancers, they waived the age limit and I was tested. Just got the result, it took 3 months, and thankfully negative, so good news for my family.

• Hi  , the whole genetics testing malarkey seems to be a bit of a postcode lottery from what I can gather. Here’s my experience, for what it’s worth! Diagnosed at 59, with family history of mum who died at 53 from breast cancer, her aunt who also died youngish from breast cancer, and my dad died at 60 from prostate cancer. I asked about testing when diagnosed but as mine was oestrogen positive (as was my mum’s), I was told there wouldn’t be a link. So no test. But I have 2 friends with same type as me, similar age, treated at Addenbrookes unlike me. They were automatically offered testing. At my 4th annual follow up I asked again, and the lovely surgeon I now see agreed to refer me for the initial ‘screening’ to see if I was eligible. Turned out I was, due to family history, mainly that my mum was diagnosed under 50, and that I’ve had cancer. It was 3 months after filling out the initial questionnaire that I had a consultation with a genetics counsellor, had blood test done, results 3 months after that. Negative for both BRCA genes but positive for a pathogenic version of ATM, a more recently discovered gene and one that ironically I probably wouldn’t have been tested for 5 years ago. My version increases my risk of breast cancer and they think is likely why I got it. It also puts me at a higher risk of recurrence. But the risks are moderate rather than high, so no offer of preventative surgery. It’s helped to know. It’s likely that I inherited it from my mum but obviously we’ll never know for sure. It also means my direct relatives can get tested. If positive, women would be eligible for screening from 40 rather than 50. 
    Sorry for long ramble! It really does seem to depend on your area as to what the eligibility criteria are. I was 59 at diagnosis and 63 when eventually tested. And it wouldn’t have happened at all if I hadn’t pushed for it. 
    There’s a BRCA group here on the site which could be worth looking at, and you could also ask your question in the Ask a Nurse section. Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Thank you for this information.

Both my grandmother and mother both passed with cancer but I don't know what type  :-(  

I;ll look into it a bit further. 

I just worry for my daughter Maybe I;m being a bit dramatic.

Carol

xx