Hair growth after breast cancer chemotherapy.

• 12 replies
  • 320 subscribers

Hi all,

I used to have thick Afro hair before chemotherapy and now it is growing back straight with a loose wave. I tried googling to see if other black women have had this experience and only found one lady on X social media but that was  just a single post and not much detail apart from one photo.

I’m wondering if there is anyone else out there who has had Afro hair grow back straight?

How long did the new texture last for?

What are you using on your new straight hair to maintain it?

It’s so different to see straight hair on my head. My mum had straight hair when she was younger and my Dad Afro so I’m wondering if the chemo increased my mums genes and caused them to affect my hair follicles lol. I’m guessing as even my oncologist laughed and said he’s never heard of this happening before . 

Hope everyone is keeping strong xx

• Hi Positive attitude,

Hope you are well.

thanks for all the info about what hair products you use. I appreciate it. : ) 

1. I am still surprised each day when I see my hair in the mirror! It’s nearly 5 months since my last chemo and my hair has loose waves at the top of my head and soft curls at the back/sides which could be waves as it’s too short at the back and sides to tell. 
      Unless a person experiences these hair changes for themselves I don’t think they understand how we feel. I nearly want to write a whole blog on this topic with photos to show the world that Yes there is such a thing as “Chemo waves” or “straight hair after chemo” or “wavy hair post chemo” Or is that going too far lol Joy 

im looking forward to summer and surprising some of the people I know with my new short wavy and soft curls hair : ) 

Wishing you a happy weekend and well wishes 

Sonia 

• I am suffering the same fate. My hair is super thick, extremely curly & dull. I normally have straight  blonde shoulder length hair which I quite liked. I now have hair that resembles a bad Toni perm from my youth. I am using thick gel to try & get it to behave which isn’t working at all. It remains an angry mess of curls that somehow seem to stand on its end. Help