Hair growth after breast cancer chemotherapy.

• 12 replies
  • 319 subscribers

Hi all,

I used to have thick Afro hair before chemotherapy and now it is growing back straight with a loose wave. I tried googling to see if other black women have had this experience and only found one lady on X social media but that was  just a single post and not much detail apart from one photo.

I’m wondering if there is anyone else out there who has had Afro hair grow back straight?

How long did the new texture last for?

What are you using on your new straight hair to maintain it?

It’s so different to see straight hair on my head. My mum had straight hair when she was younger and my Dad Afro so I’m wondering if the chemo increased my mums genes and caused them to affect my hair follicles lol. I’m guessing as even my oncologist laughed and said he’s never heard of this happening before . 

Hope everyone is keeping strong xx

• Hi Sonia101

Sorry to hear that you needed treatment for breast cancer.  While I don't have an answer for you I noticed that you haven't had any answers yet so I thought I'd reply to you to move you to the top of the discussion.  Hopefully someone will be along shortly with an answer for you.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• I am over 3 years now and I still have these symptoms. I think that it is pretty normal in my experience. But don't hold me to that I'm no expert. 

• Hey I have always had thin fine hair and now it's pretty thick and curly 

• Wow, so hair changes can last over 3 years! 

• Do you like your new hair texture? 

• When I look in the mirror now, I feel like a different person . 

• I lost my Afro hair during chemotherapy (for breast cancer) and after treatment ended, it regrew dead straight at first. As more hair grew it became curlier. After 9 months my hair is curly but not as coily as it was before treatment. I’m waiting to see what changes come next! Even though I’m over 65, my hair is only partially grey.Daily, I try to note all the positives to come out of this experience. Wishing you all the best in your healthcare journey. 

• Hi Positive attitude, 

thank you for replying ! You are the first woman with Afro hair to give me her personal experience and I’m happy to hear from you. 
    my hair started off growing straight after chemo but now it’s wavy. It’s been 4 months since my last chemo. I’m curious to see what happens over the course of this year. I’ve already had to change my hair routine. Now I wash my hair weekly, use aveeno frizz ease shampoo and conditioner . Then put in Pattern leave in conditioner which defines the waves more.
    i guess we will both have to just wait and see what happens as our hair grows longer. 
    Sending you blessings and good wishes x

• Dear Sonia101, 

Thanks for your message. There seems to be very little online about Afro hair during/after chemo. A lot is written about ‘chemo curls’ but not much about ‘chemo straight’ hair!! LOL Not even on US websites. As my hair started to regrow, I used Mustela baby shampoo and a baby hair brush. When the hair was longer I ordered ‘Melanin’ shampoo and hair conditioner (from the US) and followed with Mielle Leave In Conditioner, Mielle Curl Smoothie and then Eco styling gel to define my curls. I’m enjoying my new texture and wait to see what my hair does next! Wishing you all the best.