Still feeling rubbish 3 years after diagnosis

• 5 replies
  • 314 subscribers

Hi

Sorry for the long post

I feel like I'm going a bit mad 

I had her2 positive and er positive diagnosed. Had treatment  lumpectomy sentinel node removed. Followed by chemo and herceptin injections which finished last June and radiotherapy sep 22. 

I was so positive, then this year when I have gone back to work, I am on the floor. Don't want to go anywhere, very tearful, hot flushes brutal  bone pain worsening. Also I have still very muddled so making silly mistakes which are not very forgiving. I stepped down froma manger already to relieve some stress.

For my own sanity do you think I can be signed off for post cancer treatment, not sure whether to bother the doctor? My work will pay my salary if its anything cancer related which is fab.

• Hi there and sorry to hear you're going through this, it must be very difficult. I do think, from what you've said, it's worth chatting to your GP and getting some advice.  You could also consider giving the lovely folks here at Macmillan a call, on 0800 808 0000. They offer some counselling support if that was something you might be interested in.  Cancer continues to bother us in many ways long after the so called “treatment” so I think what you are experiencing is not unusual and support will be out there for you. Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Hi  , sorry you’re feeling so rubbish. Great advice already from  , just wanted to pop in and add support and a hug, and share a bit of my experience of post active treatment . You have been through gruelling treatment on top of a cancer diagnosis so these in themselves are a lot to have coped with. As you’ve said that your cancer was oestrogen positive, I am assuming that you are on hormone treatment? These are still cancer treatments, and have lots of possible side effects. I’m on Anastrozole and found that I couldn’t cope with my job when I was about a year down the line, due to the side effects. I was a special needs teacher and had gone back on a phased return, but never actually got back to full time. I couldn’t face doing consecutive days as I was so wiped out after one day. The fatigue and brain fog were the worst as I was forgetting things and just couldn’t do the job properly. I was horribly anxious and although I managed to keep up a ‘brave’ face at work and at home, I’d burst into tears every time I went back to the GP to discuss increasing my hours as I could barely cope with what I was doing, let alone do more days. I felt like a total failure, not depressed as such but just incredibly anxious and utterly exhausted.  Anyway I ended up being signed off sick (on my sick note it said something like ‘effects of cancer treatment’). I  would definitely suggest going to your GP and getting signed off so that you can take a breath and consider a way forward. It was impossible for me to think clearly about it all while I was attempting (very badly) to keep it all together. Sorry for the long ramble. Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Thank you I think k I will xxx

• Thanks, helped me to think I'm not going mad. Sending hugs to you too xx

• If it’s of any help, I’m now over the 5 years mark after starting Letrozole (which, due to pre-existing osteoporosis, got changed to Tamoxifen after 3 years). I finished last May. 

I’ve found I’m more able to lose weight and although I’ve still got some joint aches, I feel better in myself. I had put on quite a bit over the years, even before my bc diagnosis. 

Mentally I feel clearer, and even though I lost hubs in only late 2021, my mood is somewhat better in spite of the grief which of course will never go. 

I hope my experience might just help you a bit…..please don’t beat yourself up because you’re feeling side effects of treatment, sometimes they are subtle and it’s only on looking back you realise it was tough. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy