Problems standing straight

• 5 replies
  • 315 subscribers

Finished chemo a month ago. Sailed through apart from pins and needles and numbness in hands and feet. Suddenly legs became weak. Now have trouble walking and standing up straight. Have bought a walker and stair lift which helps. Any advice on regaining strength appreciated. Am having lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed in February 

• Hi  

I haven't experienced any of the issues that you are dealing with but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet.

I can see that you also posted this question in the Ask a Nurse section of the online community and have copied and pasted part of their reply to you below, in case you haven't seen it yet.

"Due to some of the symptoms you have described we would always err on the side of caution with leg weakness and mobility changes. We are unable to tell you why you are experiencing it, but we would like you to look at the symptoms of Malignant Spinal Cord Compression (MSCC) and see if you have any of the symptoms such as numbness, pins and needles, leg weakness, difficulty walking, urinary symptoms such as difficulty passing urine or bowel problems such as a constipation or difficulty controlling your bowels. MSCC is a rare condition, but one that is potentially serious, so we advise not delaying and seeking help as soon as possible to investigate this matter.

There are other reasons why people can feel fatigued while on chemotherapy, but it is important to let your healthcare team assess this.

We want you to prioritise contacting your chemotherapy unit on their 24-hour emergency number. If you are unable to contact them or don’t have that number, please contact 111. If any of your symptoms worsen or you feel seriously ill, then you need to dial 999 or go to an A+E."

Please do follow their advice if you haven't already.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Whiskin

i haven’t experienced any of these issues , although I carried on walking daily through my treatment I did have weakness in my legs but that was painful legs and feeling heavy mainly when walking up the stairs and this got worse when l started taking Abemaciclib after a dose reduction I am feeling a lot better. I would definitely contact your care team and discuss this issue with them 

• Many thanks. I have been told that strength should return but have now been a month off chemo one month and no better.  Am having  lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed on 14 Feb.  was hoping for recommended exercises which might help. fingers crossed strength will return soon 

• Sorry, I can't advise on any specific exercises but I do go for a 3 mile walk every day.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• talk to nurses and drs get physio of needed