Letrozole and vaginal bleeding

• 6 replies
  • 319 subscribers

Been on letrozole for 3years + post breast cancer treatment 2020 and today had some vaginal bleeding . Obviously will get it checked out but wondered if anybody else had this . See it mentioned when starting letrozole but I’ve been on it for some time . Thanks 

• Hi, I've been on letrozole 2 years and not experienced this myself, but I noticed you've not had any replies as the site is quite busy. My response will bump you back to the top and hopefully someone with the right experience to share will be along soon. Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Hi  , I’m on Anastrozole, similar to letrozole. I had some bleeding/ spotting after I’d been on it for 2 years. Nothing untoward was found so it remains a mystery. I contacted my GP (treated as urgent so saw one within 48 hours), she did an examination, nothing obvious, referred me to hospital for a scan. I was seen within a few days (think they had a cancellation), and the scan was fine so no further action. No further bleeding either. I have a history of uterine polyps so I’d assumed it was another batch of them but evidently not. Still don’t know why I had the spotting but maybe it was the Anastrozole, although the information I’ve read suggests it would be in the early days of taking it. 
    So definitely get it checked out but hopefully like me it will just be ‘one of these things’….. And just to add, a friend who’s on tamoxifen had heavy bleeding out of the blue - had it investigated and again no evidence of anything untoward and hasn’t recurred. Our bodies are weird! Maybe just a belated response to being hormone depleted. Hope you can get it checked quickly, these things are always a worry. Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Hi  

Thanks for your reply , much appreciated . Just had a GP appointment . Internal exam and nothing sinister, possibly infection so swab taken . For completeness I’ve been referred to rapid access post menopausal bleeding clinic . Not expecting anything but always good to have everything checked out. I think it’s due to oestrogen depletion as you say and possible infection . 

• Hi  , that all sounds very thorough. Good to be checked for infection too, I think lack of oestrogen can make us more vulnerable to these. It’s good that the drugs are doing their job but the unwanted effects are not so welcome. Xxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Yes, pleasingly thorough. Can’t believe I rang my GP practice this morning , got through and was first in the queue and had an appointment for an hour later! New GP as I’ve recently moved , so an impressive start. Never been so lucky before , and probably never again! 
    I agree side effects of drugs not so good - and they keep on coming and need to be managed,  but as you say they are drugs worth taking 

• I have just experienced the same thing and was relieved to find these comments. I’ve been on letrazole for 12 months and just had a spotting incident which freaked me out as not had a period for over 2 years. Thanks for the few posts here. It made me feel a little calmer ti know others had experienced the same thing x thsnks