End of treatment bell ringing in hospitals

• 11 replies
  • 316 subscribers

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12966259/Why-patients-want-cruel-cancer-free-bells-banned-ritual-America-mounting-anger-terminally-ill-listen-celebrate.html

Interesting discussions about people ringing end of treatment bell,everybody has different feelings,I remember hearing the bell and clapping on my treatment days but never thought about the people who never would get to ring it.On a personal note i didnt ring the bell as i didnt feel i had achieved anything.kind regards.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I rang the bell at end if chemo AND end if RT both in different hospitals. Chemo unit, several nurses/receptionist came out and wished me well.  RT unit, a number of staff came out but what brought me to tears were the people in the waiting area (where bell was) who applauded me! I was overwhelmed xxx

• As the Mum of a lass who had to go through almost a decade to reach remission from a blood cancer (also lost my hubs to an aggressive kidney cancer) I can understand the problem a bit.

However, I still think it’s an interesting concept that you can show you’ve come to the end of gruelling treatment and can say so by ringing a bell. (Though I’m also reminded of a hand held bell in history saying ‘unclean’ of leprosy patients?) 

I’m not really that sure where the concept originated? And after my mx with implant followed by hormone busting drugs for 5 years,  was never invited to ring one….

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• It is difficult   I didn’t ring at end of chemo as I had another

three + year of other infusions and really only rang it after infusions to please staff who really wanted to give me send off !

I look more awkward than looking forward lol

I think some people get a sense of closure which is good for them whilst others are not interested ……like you I think each to there own 

One step at a time and ...Breathe !
    xoxox
    Margaret
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

What a shame you missed that opportunity. I’m am saddened too that you lost your husband to this shxt disease…yes! We are likened to the ‘unclean’ haha! It’s just a good way to say goodbye to the units that have been part of our lives, as well xx

• there were no bells where i was and i probably would have been same as you and not done it. i do wonder if it would make me feel different. as i have found i have come out quite depressed, then again i am also dealing with my moms health issues as well, which is making moving on harder

• No bell ringing where I was either. I don’t know because I’ve nothing to compare it to but my gut feel is I’m happy they didn’t have a bell to ring. Some people slept during chemo and were resting ( and may never ring the bell Pensive) so I can imagine it would be quite disruptive, but I’m probably just a grumpy cow! X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Anna12345

The bells where I was were outside of the units in the waiting areas so little disturbance to the people in treatment, however,  they could be heard and a lot of people cried as they had made friends and were probably feeling a bitter/sweet moment. Happly that they were finished but sad to say goodbye..

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Anna12345

Not at all…we all deal with things differently. I wish everyone who goes through this hell, an easy onward journey xxx

• i felt that, as my last day a gentleman still had 8 to go Cry i wished him well but it was hard even tho i didnt really know him

• I didn't personally ring it…but I’m happy for anyone that did - it clearly symbolises something to them. We should respect those that don’t want to ring it and celebrate with those that do - we are one big community that should respect each others choices xxx