Double masectomy

• 3 replies
  • 315 subscribers

Hey

I am in surgery for a double masectomy on Monday. I am in for 24hrs. What do I need to take to hospital with me. What is best to wear to go home with. How did you cope with the car journey home. So many questions. Sorry. 

• Hi, I’m sorry you are having to go through this, and I hope all goes well on Monday. I’m just recovering from a second mastectomy, having had the first in August 2022. This one was to reduce the risk of further cancer as I have recently found out that I have the BRCA 1 gene.

my advice would be to wear loose fitting clothes which are easy to get on and off. Front fastening top, so nothing that needs to go over your head. Pull on trousers are easier as you don’t need to fiddle with buttons and zips. You may be restricted in terms of arm movement, so keep that in mind re night wear, dressing gown etc. too. Shoes that are easy to put on and off without stretching or bending are best. 

I took a towel, never sure if the hospital will provide one or not, and something to do, as you might be waiting a while, so a book, crossword, or music and earphones.

A cushion can help stop the seatbelt from rubbing. 

I’m sure you’ll get replies from others who have had a double mastectomy and who will have more advice.

Good luck for Monday  

MTT

• Hi, I only had a lumpectomy, but I would reiterate the advice from MTT on clothing. Leggings that are easy to pull up, a shirt or blouse that's front fastening and if you are in overnight, front fastening PJs as it could be difficult to pull things over your head as I guess your arm movement will be restricted. Slippers for mooching around the hospital, and they will probably give you those very glamorous (not) stockings to stop blood clots.  Best wishes for your surgery

Community Champion badge

• Hi, I’ve had two mastectomies, but separately. The first one I stayed overnight at hospital. Agree with what has been said already. A sleeping pillow might help prevent the seatbelt rubbing for a double mastectomy. I slept loads after each surgery and was very dozy, but we are all different. You can’t drive a car afterwards, but I asked my driver to take it a little slower round bends. I hope all goes well tomorrow x