How do I know if I have a heamatoma?

• 3 replies
  • 314 subscribers

I’m going to see breast care team on Monday for a review of the lumpectomy wound and discuss onward treatment. However I’d be interested in hearing others experiences about heamatoma. I  am suspecting I have one but not sure. My breast feels heavy almost the same as it did with the cancerous lump. Is that how the breast should feel? Apart from that I’m healing ok.

• i had a lumpectomy and my breast was swollen and achy for 3ish weeks after first surgery, if it feels hot and you are concerned give them a call today.

i assume fluid buildup around wound, but no real pockets of fluid so i just waited, when i saw surgeon for second surgery 4 ish weeks later she was worried she said but looked ok and yeah normal, it will reabsorb in time. 

if you have a pocket of fluid, u may want to call, if its hot to touch go see someone. but just call anyway to discuss cause it will be a better answer than i can give you

• Thank you for your response. I called them hence the appointment on Monday. It’s not painful or hot to touch perhaps that’s why they were happy to see me Monday. It’s really difficult to work out what the new normal should feel or look like…

• Hi  , I had a large haematoma, and I think it was obviously so as it was like a big, swollen dark red bruise, the whole of the under half of my breast. It was quite hideous, combined with the blue staining from the dye. At least that’s how I remember it! People here have also had seromas which I think are gatherings of serous (colourless) fluid rather than red blood cells. But I was able to go to the breast clinic every few days to monitor it and it did eventually resolve itself without intervention. 
    It’s good that you’re getting it checked on Monday. Xxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi