Which method of reconstruction?

• 6 replies
  • 320 subscribers

Hi guys. 

My journey started in oct23 when I found a small lump. Nothing showed in the mammogram, so had ultrasounds which caused concern, so had biopsies.

Mid Nov I was diagnosed with dcis non invasive hormone receptive cancer. (I can't remember all the terminology). So the plan was a lumpectomy and radiotherapy. But 1st the consultant wanted an mri of both sides.

Early Dec told left side clear, but right (with lump) also had other areas. So needed more biopsies and scans to establish what these were.

Today 2nd Jan told I had large areas of same non invasive cancer in right breast which needed a full mastectomy. But cos full mastectomy no need for radiotherapy (I was considering asking about mastectomy rather than lumpectomy any way). But I have been offered reconstruction at time of mastectomy or later. And the options of different reconstruction methods. Implant, or fat from another part of the body.

I have read the very in depth literature they've given me and get pros and cons (I think) of the various methods. But I would like to hear what other people's experience is of any of the different reconstruction methods...time to heal, drive, walk the dog, travel, pain, success, satisfaction, numbness, sensitivity etc.

Once I decide which way (I've decided to have reconstruction at same time as mastectomy), they will book me in (prob 2-3weeks after). This is only for right side. They don't want to touch left as totally clear and to be honest I want to avoid any unnecessary intrusive surgery (everyone has their own opinion or feelings on this). 

Thank you for reading my essay (tried to keep it to the point). The moving target and waiting, plus telling family has been the worst bit for me. We all have our own challenges. Running my own biz I learned not to stress over things you have no control over and focus on what you can have some effect on. It seems to have helped me with dealing with this. 

Hugs to everyone and remember cancer does not define you. Xxx

• Hiya, I had a nipple sacrificing, skin salvaging mastectomy and implant reconstruction in September 22.

i had/have large breasts so this was the best option for me. Unfortunately, I could an infection and the implant was removed and replaced with a smaller one, leaving me with symmetry issues.

i have been offered a breast lift or possibly the option of the same in the other side and am considering both currently.

• Hi I had a single mastectomy with immediate reconstruction using implant as not enough of own tissues. I did have radiotherapy afterwards which has caused ongoing pain & discomfort unfortunately 18 months on. Hopefully you won't have that problem 

Recovery is quicker with implant but will require replacement at some point & is firmer than the other side. I think you just have to go with your gut feeling & also what you can have.

Hope things go well for you 

Best wishes x 

• Thank you. I didn't even think about the nipple. Although to be honest following the last load of biopsies I've noticed a change in shape and colour. I've always had smaller breasts, but largish nipples. Being darker skinned my nipples are very dark. 

I now have an appt tomorrow with the reconstruction nurse to go through options in detail and questions. So I will ask. 

I hope things go well with whatever you decide too. Thank you for replying.

Xx

• Sorry to hear you are in pain and discomfort. Hope it settles soon for you. 

My consultant said no radiotherapy as he would only do reconstruction after any radiotherapy, if radiotherapy was needed. Saying that they will check lymph nodes at time of operation, so just hope that doesnt throw a spanner in the works. The plan has changed that many times following more investigations, so who knows Fingers crossedFingers crossed Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

Xx

• Yes I had the same, many changes to plans as they found more things! I had lymph node removal too.

I had radiotherapy aswell as the mastectomy as the tumour was so large 10cm.

All the best x

• Hi i had skin sparing nipple with implant 9 weeks ago for high dcis non invasive contained in the milk ducts. Got a rash which i think was a reaction to the post op bras. It has calmed doen alot but i have a review on tuesday with the breast surgeon.. I was told no further treatmeant. I am now having to have radiotherapy and feel so anxious about the risks with the implant. Anyone give me there experience.