Damaged Veins

• 9 replies
  • 316 subscribers

Hi everyone I wondered if someone in this lovely community may have some insights that would help me.  Following the end of my chemo in January I found that the veins in my lower arm are hard and wiry.  There is still no improvement and I get quite severe pins and needles in my hand, worst at night when it wakes me usually 2 or 3 times.   The hospital don't seem to be concerned (which I guess is good) but I wondered if anyone else has experienced this and does anything help to relieve it?  Thanks 

• Hi LizzieMillie, I had this with EC chemo - I tried sesame oil which I read about on-line - not sure if it made any difference or if it just takes time for veins to get better.   Sesame oil smells a bit though - I just used the off the shelf version and lathered my affected arm with it at night. 

I am 5 months post chemo now and veins seem to be recovering. I can stretch my arm out without it feeling painful or feeling like it is going to snap (yuk).  The true test will be when I need to have bloods done again though as that has been a real struggle post chemo.  

Good luck  & I hope it gets better for you soon 

• Hello LizzieMillie I don't have hard wiry veins but since chemo I've been told that my veins are now 'wonky' and that chemo can cause them to 'collapse' so when I have blood tests it usually takes a while for them to find a suitable vein. Are you on Letrozole? When I started taking this I developed bad pins & needles in both hands, which was worse at night and kept me awake, and when I mentioned it to my oncologist he said that it sounded like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (which can be a side effect of Letrozole). He referred me to my GP who conducted some tests and then referred me to the hospital for nerve conduction tests which confirmed Carpal Tunnel syndrome, although they said that they can't confirm the exact cause of this as there could be several reasons. I had surgery and the pins & needles have now gone, which is such a relief. I would suggest speaking to your GP about the issue and see what they suggest as it's possible that physio might help you or you may need some tests to establish what the problem is. Hope this helps and that you get some sort of relief as constant pins & needles isn't nice to have Frowning2

• Could the pins and needles be peripheral neuropathy? This unfortunately is a feature of some chemo drugs and does tend to develop a bit further after you stop treatment. 

• Thanks for replying - I will try massage with oil and see how it goes. It is really useful to hear that other people have similar experiences.  When I stretch my arm out it looks like a road map of Britain lol with all the veins standing out.  Hopefully it will improve with time. 

• Hi  Yes I am on Letrozole.  Really interesting to get your feedback - I will follow this up I didn't realise the pins and needles could be connected with that medication.   Glad I put the message on this forum!  Thanks for your help. 

• Hi  thanks for a really useful pointer - I will do some research and speak to my doctor.  I seem to have had all the side effects and although the treatment is over, the legacy goes on,,,,,  Thanks again

• I empathise with you, one of my biggest learnings is that it's never over, and every bit of  treatment causes something else. It's the gift that keeps giving but there's usually an answer. Hope you get some clarity soon. Best wishes

Community Champion badge

• Hi  you are so right.   I just want to put it behind me and get on with my life but despite my best efforts it is difficult.  I have quite bad joint and muscle pain from the Letrozole, I have the pins and needles in my arm/hand, and my energy levels are rubbish.   Having been really active before I am longing to feel like 'my old self' but it just doesn't seem to be happening.  Trying to stay positive !  It will happen eventually.  Sending you lots of good wishes too x 

• Dealing with damaged veins can be incredibly frustrating, especially when it leads to discomfort like pins and needles, particularly at night. I've heard from others that similar symptoms can be alleviated through various treatments. Spider vein removal might be worth exploring further, as it could potentially offer relief from the discomfort you're experiencing. In the meantime, have you tried any home remedies or lifestyle changes that might help manage the discomfort, such as gentle exercises or applying heat or cold packs? Sometimes, small adjustments can make a big difference in managing symptoms.