After Chemotherapy..

• 4 replies
  • 317 subscribers

Hi

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in September last year, just after moving house and relocating to a different area.  Since then I have had chemotherapy to shrink the tumour, followed by surgery in March this year  to remove the tumour.   Thankfully there was no cancer in the lymph nodes and the surgery was a success.  I am awaiting radiotherapy, which looks like it will start middle of June.  In the meantime I have started medication, which I will take for 3 years (the management of which is another story - its like a military operation working out which tablet and when etc.).  My oncologist is talking about further chemotherapy, which we are in still in discussion about.   

I was probably naïve about what would happen after chemo and the surgery but I thought "cancer has been removed, get on with your life" discussion but its not the case.  Its the physical and emotional after effects I am struggling with.  My hair is starting to return and I know my nails will regrow but the tiredness and the muscle aches are still with me, I am trying to increase my physical activity but its a struggle. 

However, the emotional side is even worse, I find it difficult to concentrate and cope when things don't go right, everything seems a battle (dealing with electricity & broadband companies, trying to find an NHS dentist and having to go private), I just end up crying and I have noticed myself withdrawing from friends and family, finding it difficult to explain how I am feeling after the "success" of the chemo and surgery.

Your life seems to go on hold while you deal with the treatments, I am trying to break the hold but its not easy trying to plan ahead when you are waiting for treatment etc.

The question is - does anyone else feel like this and when will it go away (will it go away)??

• Hi @jay6789 firstly I'm glad that your chemo and surgery had a positive outcome, this is very similar to my own experience.   And yes, just when you think it's all “over” you begin to realise that it's never really over and certainly there are times when it all feels a little overwhelming. I also personally find it a challenge that other people don't always understand this.

Have you thought about having a chat with the lovely people here at Macmillan? You can call them on 0800 808 0000 and I am sure they will be able to give you some help and advice on managing emotionally.

I blogged throughout my treatment and this one in particular I gut also help you get the sense that you're not alone in how you're feeling Blog link and I have to say, 2 years on it's definitely better than a year ago.

best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Try to find a C group near you if possible. I’ve joined a lovely group who have speakers every so often from all aspects of cancer, bras, hair, wigs, etc. most of the time we don’t even talk C but there’s always someone to talk to if need be.  Ask you GP surgery if there’s such a thing. A lot of these are run either as a small group started by someone with personal experience orrun by charities. I do know the feeling. I wish you well.

• I had a mastectomy back in August 2019 with an immediate DIEP reconstruction.  Afterwards, I had chemo which I reacted very badly to, so the last session was cancelled.  Since then, my toenails are looking much better and my fingernails are back as they were before, but my hair is a lot thinner, less of it and a few shades lighter, though it seems I’m going grey in there now, so time to start with the non permanent colouring I’m afraid.  However, I felt so exhausted afterwards and unable to concentrate, and I’m still suffering now, three years on!  Sadly, I’ve not been able to join any group, so don’t know if this is normal or not.  Also, I’m very stressed due to husband collapsing whilst I was undergoing chemo, he was taken into hospital where he stayed for four months, as the nurses and doctors could see how I was suffering and there was no one else at home to help either of us.  Husband was given less than six months to live in November 2019, but so far, he has beaten this outcome.  We just live day to day, but wish we could have enough strength and fitness to travel.  Sadly, we don’t, so we relive our earlier adventures instead.  At least we have quite a few of these.  Does anyone else still suffer from exhaustion after chemo, three years or more on?

Regards, Giuliella.
  • Hello there 

I am awaiting my medication endocrine therapy after 8 rounds of chemo, breast surgery and 5 fractions of radiotherapy.  I found that life doesn't have to be 'on hold' - it did feel this way during chemo, as I couldn't plan anything for 6 months.  Also recovering from surgery, which took 8 weeks.  In between these times I made it my mission to enjoy as much as possible every micro moment I felt 'well'.  I started an afternoon pottery course, I would go for daily walks, I would stroke our lovely cat.  I would order a book and not read it very much!!  Try to fit into your new normal routine with peace and harmony.... you can't do it at your pre treatment pace, so you have to adjust to it and understand your energy levels.  Like you I get VERY exasperated with my foggy chemo brain, I can't get on with admin, and things take me longer to do!!!  But if you have the time........  TIME is so precious.  It took me AGES to readjust as I used to run around with 2 jobs, 2 girls, a Mum who needed support with sorting out my step dad's care home. EMOTIONS.... these are running mixed and wild at the moment as I come to terms with what I have been through, and still not finished, as I have 10 years of medication.  

I recommend reading this article which helped me clarify these emotions and feelings are common.  "After the Treatment Finishes - Then What?" by Dr Peter Harvey

The answer to your question is yes I did feel like this and it does go away, just be kind to yourself and keep positive.

all the best

Veej