Lung nodule

• 6 replies
  • 320 subscribers

Hi everyone 

I am towards the end of treatment for breast cancer.  I've just returned to work.  I'm due to finish a 6 month course of apixaban in September. 

I had staging scans in October 2021, all were clear. Due to ongoing breathlessness I had a further CT in March (only 6 months after my staging scan).  This revealed a small PE on right lung at the bottom and a 6mm lung nodule at the top of my left lung (my tumour had been in left breast).

My Onc said that it was nothing to worry about and that the usual course of action is to re-scan after 3-4 months.  He thought it was caused by residual infection - although I hadn't had a chest infection in between my staging scan and the scan where the nodule was found.  

I had a CT scan at the beginning ofJuly and I have an appointment in about 10 days to discuss the results.   If this is clear then I suspect I'll just need annual monitoring, so I'm keeping everything crosses. 

Whilst I understand that lots of lung nodules are found by accident during scanning, and that most are nothing to worry about, I think that applies to the general population.   Putting in the context of cancer patients, surely it is different. 

I made the mistake of googling and there have been several studies that show that nodules in breast cancer patients frequently become something of concern.   

Has anyone else had any positive experiences where nodules were spotted?  What is the likelihood that it's something sinister. 

I'm so close to the end of my journey and to regaining normality that I am scared that this is going to be snatched from me. Scanxiety is slowly mounting. 

Thank you

• Hello Snookie!  I have just begun treatment (5 chemo ahead of me yet) I've only had one  taxotere treatment, along with Perjecta, for HER2 positive breast cancer.    After my biopsy of a 1 centimeter tumor in my right breast, the PET scan showed a 1.3 centimeter nodule, along with multiple small nodules in both lungs.  My doctor is hoping these will dissipate with the chemotherapy since he did. not want a biopsy of these, they are usually malignant if there are multiple nodules.  

What type of breast cancer do you have?  I have estrogen receptive, progesterone negative, HER2 positive.  I am also worried about these nodules, hopefully the treatment you are receiving will kill these culprits.  

Yes, I've read that cancer spreading to the lungs is worse than spread to the bones?  I don't know.  Thank you for reading this, keep me posted please of your progress.  Keep praying--take care

• Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I have/had triple negative breast cancer.  My tumour was 34mm on ultrasound.  The lung nodule wasn't there at time of diagnosis. It was expected that I'd be having a lumpectomy.

I had a round of EC, but the tumour grew.  They switched me, and I had one round of carbo/pax but it was then was decided that I needed to proceed to surgery and that I needed a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction wasn't possible. The tumour measured 44mm, so it had grown 10mm in 3 months. And there was no response to chemo.

The good news was that were clear margins and my lymph nodes were clear.  They did staging scans to check for any spread, but they were clear.  But 6 months later there was the nodule.

Triple negative doesn't respond to drugs like tamoxifan. So after surgery I had radiotherapy and started capcitebine, but could only manage 5 cycles.

So given all of the above, I am a little concerned about the nodule.  Triple negative tends to spread to the lungs.

Oh, and I had to go to the hospital a month ago, as I coughed a tiny amount of blood.  The CT results weren't available by then.  The doctor thought it was yet another infection even though I didn't feel like I had a chest infection.

• Hi 

I had a nodule on my lower left lung. This was found after I kept collapsing and they did a ct scan. It was 6mm in size at the time. They said  they would monitor it. When it reached 11mm I was told they needed to operate. They couldn't do a biopsy because of where it was situated, so my best option was to remove the lower left section of my lung. This was done April 2020. This was sent to histology. It came back benign. After 6 weeks recovery I was back at work full time. In May this year I found a lump on my right breast. DCIS diagnosed. I've had three lots of surgery to the area but have now been told I need a mastectomy as the marking are too close the wall. So waiting to go under the knife again.

• Hi, im in a similar position and just wondered if you would mind sharing your outcome in regards to your nodule. Hope all was ok

• I eventually got the results of the CT scan and there were no nodules.  A further scan was done in January and that was clear too.

It was great news.  I hope the same is true for you x

• Thank you. Ive had something new and very small appear on my ct scan following neoadjuvant chemo and breast surgery. Its got me very worried. Im pleased it all worked out for you.