Book "the complete guide to the menopause" Dr Annice Mukherjee

• 5 replies
  • 319 subscribers

I've just finished her book, which is a great read, thankfully reinforcing alot of what i knew, but also highlighting some new things.

In it, towards the end when she's recounting her own journey (P231 for those who have it), she says (towards the bottom) that she persuaded her team to treat her with a chemical menopause - injections that  blocked her hormones.

What is is, how is it different from tamoxifen and when / why is it done? 

• I haven't got the book but I'm in a medical (chemical?) menopause with monthly zoladex injections that block your brain' signal to your ovaries so they switch off. As that classes me as post-menopausal, I can also take an aromatase inhibiter.

I was offered the choice of that or tamoxifen and for my circumstances, the evidence showed no difference in mortality rates, but the zoladex/AI route had less recurrence.

• thanks that's helpful, and makes sense. When I get that far, I can at least ask the question what that does / doesn't do over say tamoxifen as I thought this was an estrogen inhibitor, but maybe not as belt and braces.

I sensed from what she says in her book, that because of her knowledge and background, the results from a chemical menopause were good (maybe more highly rated in her opinion) and the option she wanted rather than tamoxifen. 

• Hi

I was (and still am ) not fully menopausal , and am on Tamoxifen. The chemical menopause you are talking about is injections such as Zoladex, which works like a menopause , however it is not instead of hormone therapy but as well as for women who are pre-menopausal. Even after the menopause oestrogen is produced , so post menopausal women are offered AI drugs such as Letrozole. Tamoxifen and the AI’s work in different ways, and have proved very effective in stopping recurrence. The AI’s are quite new , my mum had breast cancer ages 69 15 years ago and was only offered Tamoxifen. 

I have been on Tamoxifen now for almost 6 years and can’t really say I have any problems , definitely nothing to consider me stopping them. My oncologist said that about 20% of women who take AI’s (not Tamoxifen) have enough negative side effects to stop taking it , whereas Tamoxifen is much better tolerated. 

Are you concerned about the side effects ?

Jo 

• Hi Jo, thanks, that's helpful. What is 'AI'? I note there is an 'AI cancer test', to work out the best drugs for your cancer, which is something new, is this what you mean?

I'm not at this stage yet, although will be i'm sure, so am fact finding and if you look at my original post, I was keen to understand why Annice, as a pre menopausal women, wanted a chemical menopause injection, and what this was.

• Hi. I came across this group after speaking with a Macmillan nurse this morning. I’m past the lumpectomy, Chemo and radiotherapy for a small HER2-, oestrogen receptor + small tumour. I’m 53 and being chemically induced for menopause. I’ve been on Tamoxifen for 3/4 months and now they have been withdrawn. I’m due to go on Exestamane from tomorrow. I also have Zolidex injections monthly. I’m struggling awfully with my mood and the drugs/menopause are not helping my depression. I’m also about to have zolendranic acid infusions for strengthening my bones. Does anyone have any experience of that? X