media coverage of cancer - bit of a rant

• 19 replies
  • 314 subscribers

morning all

Olivia Newton-John has sadly died

BUT I don't believe for one second she 'battled breast cancer for 30 years' which is one of the headlines this morning. 

She was diagnosed in 1992 and then diagnosed with recurrence and spread in 2013, that's a 20 year gap where we should presume she got on with her life.

I was diagnosed in 2015 but at that appointment it was clear the breast lesion was there in 2012. I underwent surgery and chemo, then Herceptin.

Then I was invited for a annual mammogram, apparently this year was the last one.

I was expected to 'get over it' and 'get on with my life', which hasn't been particularly easy but I know it's the right thing to do. My stats were pretty poor without treatment but if I could get to five years post treatment they improved a lot. Obviously I'm still here. I do think about recurrence, it's hard not to and trying to work out which symptoms are simply age related wear and tear and something more sinister is tricky. Mentally I might be fighting the cancer demon but I can't show that to my family, especially my daughter, who still freaks out if I cough. 

When a friend was diagnosed nearly 30 years ago, her treatment was a bit different, she had surgery, chemo, radio and then tamoxifen for 5 years and the minute that treatment stopped the cancer came back and spread to her bones, she then had many different treatments to keep her going and eventually died in 2011, this could be considered a 17 year 'battle' because she was always undergoing some kind of treatment for cancer. And naively at the time that is how I saw it but it's not how she saw it, she never let it get in the way of building up a plant business or travelling to nice places, sometimes combining business and leisure trips to find plants. 

I guess it would be useful to change the narrative around cancers, especially the curable ones. 

If Macmillan and the other charities could educate the press that might help. Although less dramatic headlines won't help sales. 

Anyway, we're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time.

hugs to all

Carolyn

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lfc74

Interesting reactions to Julia. Ironically my lovely friend lost her daughter to bowel cancer recently and she couldn’t listen/read anything about/by Deborah James, journalist. She found everything just irritated her and she would say “I don’t even know why I feel like that”.  

• I dont think its anyones intention to upset pepeople, we all have very different approaches to bc and often different experiences of care. I dont think julia has told me anything ididnt already know and when i watched the documentary i didnt feel that it was something that people would learn something from. Maybe that wasnt the intention of it but it just seemed, i dont know insensative to the majority.???

I dont imagine she was told to get in a taxi and go to the clinic to have her drain emptied by a district nurse! For me the inadequacies and differences of peoples treatment and care experiences is something that should be advocated louder by those who chose to make their diagnosis public. 

Xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Lfc74

Good grief! So sorry for you re DN! How grossly insensitive!  On news just now…people are waiting for cancer treatment long after diagnosis…can it get any worse? Sending best wishes Lfc74 x

• Its appaling!! So much spent in advertising campaigns encouraging people not to ignore early warning signs and see tgeir GP chance would be a fine thing. If i rang and said i have had a cough for two weeks im sure the receptionist would fob me off or tell me to buy a bottle of butter cup syrup!!!

The district nurses were terrible, i complained to my bc nurse who said they had had otger complaints and woukd raise it with manager.

Its unfortunate that sometimes your just too tired to take things further and say tbis actually isnt good enough. But he ho i dont need them now and if i do again in the future im ready!!! Xx

• I’m so relieved it wasn’t just me. She and I had same size tumour and I was ashamed to feel unsisterly as I saw them, thoughts. I had micro mets. She didn’t. I had the full works like others of you who commented here. She also did a long Times magazine interview which acknowledged some of her ideas were not evidenced and left me with mixed feelings including anxiety about wearing makeup (over that now, it’s not like Look Good Feel Better would do all that incredible work with us if it was harmful).

I’m finding today incredibly difficult- I should add I’m in the two-year post treatment window and I’m a permanent state of anxiety- but there is a good Independent online newspaper piece about how ONJ changed the narrative away from battle. 

https://apple.news/AvmJrHWSTReOlbJ8OOrZ7RA

I came on here to get support. Thank you and sorry if I’ve offended anyone. I too lean  heavily on Liz O’Riordan and just watched her piece in response to ONJ’s death.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Historywoman

If we cant vent and be honest on here, where can we without being trolled?! Everyone has a right to their opinion. God Bless Us All for our individuality!!

• Interesting, it’s good to here other views and to hear that your friend struggled with DJ too was interesting, there’s probably some deep psychological reason why it affected us all negatively, thank goodness we have a safe space to discuss and vent x

• I read this post with interest as my mum had similar diagnosis to Olivia but died in 2008. I am also in active treatment from primary (full works) and hope to live a normal active life when it's over. I also found Julia's account of her cancer irritating. She has given 'advice' about diet which contradicts medical professionals such as Liz O'Riordan...I know where I'd rather get my advice from!

I also watched a news summary on the BBC yesterday stating that cancer treatment was at an all time low. For the record I was diagnosed last September and cannot fault the process. Its been well organised and delivered within timescales. I should have had a mammogram earlier but it was delayed because of covid. I don't blame anyone for that I'm just grateful for screening. 

The MMS looks to stir up fear in the most vulnerable of people!!!!

Back to positives I've just had two days holiday in the lake district....just what the Doctor orderedGrinning

• And I thought it was just me who felt that way !

Well said everyone.