Hair care after cold capping

• 8 replies
  • 320 subscribers

Hello 

I finished my 6 rounds of chemo last week. I cold capped but have lost a lot of hair. My hair is very fine so not much of a surprise but just feel it looks a complete mess. I have  short hair. I keep telling myself it’s not important in the grand scheme of things but yesterday I felt I couldn’t leave the house because of how I look.
When can you get back to your normal hair routine re washing and products? Are there any styling products recommended? I have been advised to wait 4 to 6 weeks after chemo before taking any supplements As I have fine hair I’ve always used volume enhancing products and missing that extra oomph Slight smile
I have a hairdressers appointment next week so banking on her being able to work a miracle Smirk

I’m still glad I cold capped and don’t want to give up on it now. I think I am just impatient to return to so sort of normality and perhaps struggling with the fact that it’s not going to happen overnight. . 

• I lost most of my hair after the first round of EC despite cold capping, so gave up on cold cap at that point, and cropped what was left very short. Oddly not much more has fallen out since. 

I suspect you are going to have to wait for new hair to fill in the sparseness a bit, so it might be a case of getting what’s left cut fairly short. I am guessing it will take a few weeks for your follicles to recover, at which point Nioxin might help. I already have a supply ready for when I see some regrowth. 

• I totally feel for you. I had my last lot of chemo at the end of last August. I also cold capped and did not lose all of my hair. I've done everything possible to make it grow back quickly and to some extent I'm pleased with it. There are a few  problems: firstly the missing hair has grown in at different times and so you have different lengths, worst has been having the shortest lengths on top and I have really wanted to avoid a pixie crop (I've got a very messy bob). Then the hair seems have gone very fine and dry. Don't know if that's chemo, cold cap, age, lack of dye or what but I seem to be constantly conditioning it with leave in conditioners and now light hair oil. I have taken Nourkrin throughout and my hair has grown quickly (but of course I can't compare it to how it would have grown if I had not taken it). Like toe nails I think it just takes forever to recover and I suspect the letrozole I am on doesn't help. At the minute I am finding The Ordinary's hemi squalane very helpful.  I found light hats were the best way to feel confident in public - thin beanies and baseball caps seem to work best for me. Wish you all the best with it.

• Thanks cyclemania I have 2 nieces who are hair dresser’s so they said they are going to look into what is best for when you are regrowing your hair so if I find out any good tips I will let you all know 

• That would be great, hope you get on with the next appointment ok. thanks.

• That would be lovely, thankyou.

• I have been trying to do some research but there are so many different products I have just confused myself ! Lol 

• I've been exploring hair care for my own naturally curly hair too. I totally get the struggle with frizz and keeping curls nourished. I’ve tried several products, and one brand that’s really stood out to me is Virgo de Novo. Their moisturizing hair products have been amazing for my hair. The shampoo especially feels super hydrating, and it’s the best shampoo for volume I’ve found so far. I've also started using their leave-in conditioner, which has made my curls so much softer and better defined. It's made a big difference in managing the frizz.