BLOKES WITH BREAST CANCER

• 166 replies
  • 332 subscribers

Hi    I have recently joined this female dominated cancer world  I have had mastectomy followed by lymph node clearance joined optima trial so skipped chemo and went onto radiotherapy for 5 days and tamoxifen daily. Pain scale: Biopsy 8-10  Mastectomy 3-10  Lymph node clearance 3-10  Radiotherapy  1-10 This is a really hard cancer if you happen to be a gentleman sat in waiting rooms listening to woman talking about there treatments but it is the only way a male can find out the pitfalls of treatments and i would like to thank and apologize for listening in because without this there is nothing out there for males! We are told dont go on internet at clinics but how on earth can you find something or someone to talk to,i personally felt like i had been pushed of a cliff as i could not find a solution having contacted a charity and the internet is all about female led questions. I mentioned this to a consultant and his nurse came up trumps with a male support network at Breast Cancer Now , so any males looking for advise ,support look at this charity because there is nothing out there for males and when you find a post it is usually years old . Thank you  

• Well, this thread had more activity, and for a few days exclusively by men, than some entire forums in the community. 14 forums show last activity more than a month ago, and one was last used 5 months ago, yet these forums are kept up and running in case someone needs them (this is a good thing.) We already have 4 men here in the space of less than a month who are active and talking. How much more interest is needed? I wouldn't be surprised if some guys out there are watching but are still reluctant to talk, who might start posting in a male-dedicated environment.

• I think you are right it is bad enough getting told you have bc and hey that is a woman cancer right, and when i came looking in Oct it was scary! What do you say, but the ladies on here have been so nice and supportive you have made it easy to talk, so a massive thank you to you all. bwbc

• It's clearly a very real need for men to have a space dedicated to breast cancer.  I hope Macmillan do provide .  I know they might think it's gender neutral but males and females have their specific issues and current BC forum is over run by females.  I'm so happy these men have managed to link up.

• Just to say that I will be on Steph's Packed Lunch on Monday ,along with someone from Macmillan to talk about MBC and I will also be on Radio London in the afternoon again through Macmillan .It is great that we are moving forward

• I am so pleased this new thread is working for you all. I thought it could be done when I first mentioned it. I often watch Steph's packed lunch so I will be watching you on Monday from SW France.

Take care.

1. I
  • Hi there , I was on this site back in 2019 when I was also diagnosed with Breast cancer, I had like you, a mastectomy, I had a full axillary clearance of 26 lymph nodes. Then I had chemotherapy, then Radiotherapy…which were both cut short due to Covid which took hold in 2920, just as I was going through the treatment.

I hear your angst that you find yourself in, it’s a lonely world for sure. and yes it’s a very pink world you have entered. That’s simple a numbers thing . 56 thousand Ladies compared to just under 400 men a year with this awful disease. But the numbers of ladies obviously outweighs men therefore the system is geared towards its main audience….sad but fact….our role is to keep chipping away to be heard and supported with parity. 

I felt like you did, I wanted answers support and recognition, that I too had Breast Cancer.

I’ve since connected with other men like us. I see Doug has written on here and has told you about things like the VMU….but it would also be great to expand the breast cancer forum on this site too to share thoughts…giving future men, numerous sources of support,

sadly I lost track on here due to being one of two guys at the time who had breast cancer. So I sadly looked else where. Plus the side effects of treatment affected me a lot , so much so I also had to have major surgery in 2021 to repair an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, which grew much quicker due to hormone drugs I was taking…..I forgot my password struggled to get back on here with chemo brain fog, and just stopped trying…

But I’m back here now and offer support to you and any other male with breast cancer, talking seriously helps as does raising awareness of this condition.

I put a poster up in a mens group I once help to fund, last Year…….months later a lady approached me at the community centre and hugged me. she told me that the poster about male breast cancer that I put up, saved her husbands life. She noticed lumps in his chest. 
    He was later diagnosed with breast cancer in both breasts. He is making good progress post surgery I’m told.

I’m saddened to hear that 3 years after my diagnosis, men are still being diagnosed and feel as despondent and alone as I did three years ago, it takes time for things to change I know, but it’s simply not good enough, that this abandonment still exists. 

Take care of you ………

Regards

David 

Take care of YOU
    D
  • I hope you did report this to your Doctor 

Take care of YOU
    D
  • My goodness , you have really been through the mill. It seems wrong that you have to fight for treatment which seems to be automatic for women. Take care and good luck.

Onwards and flatwards (don't do hills) and keep walking if you can!