The phrase " kicked cancers Ass"

• 16 replies
  • 315 subscribers

Does anyone else hate this phrase?  It gives me the fear when people say it to me.  I feel as though I am temping fate saying it.

My son just put up a post which was lovely but that phrase terrfies me!

I'm just being silly I know but that's how I feel x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Aprillee

I feel the same.  The truth is that we never know if we have kicked cancer's ass.  We just hope that we have!

All the best

jimmyjam

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to April L

I like to think I have given it a good kick with all the treatment.  Even if its not kicked to touch it must at least be feeling a bit bruised 

Hope you all get to see a bit of sun today xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to April L

I hate the whole "battling cancer"/"losing her fight"/"cancer warrior" terminology - so inappropriate and often hurtful.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I hate all cancer words where people say, fight, battle ,journey,  kick it's ass,  urghh and don't get me started on people that say keep positive...a lot of them in the medical profession!!

Like we have any choice in what cancer is doing to our bodies. All we can do is follow medical advice. I hate this theory if you don't think positive then you won't get rid of it.

• , so agree! I’m sick of being positive, painting on a smile and saying ‘I’m fine’ when I feel dreadful inside. And all this battling!! We live with cancer and  that is our norm, and we just get on with it xxxx

Onwards and flatwards (don't do hills) and keep walking if you can!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to seaspirit44

I really agree about the positivity thing, I think when people say that to me it is more for them than me. Being positive won't change my outcome. Nor will prayers. 

But I think we need to give ourselves, our bodies and our health care workers  a huge amount of credit for the effort we are making to keep our cancers at bay. Even when we  dont feel like it our bodies are using their defence mechanisms to get rid of the cancer or at least to stop it growing. Our doctors and nurses and researchers are doing their best to find treatments that will help our bodies do that. Sadly sometimes it doesn't work and the cancer takes over but that is not for want of trying.  Our bodies are trying even when we feel we have nothing left to give. Not all wars are won but that doesn't make the soldiers any less strong, willing or brave. It just means the other side broke the rules and brought  a frigging nuclear missile. 

We should feel proud of ourselves for getting through one more day against the adversity called Cancer 

Love and hugs to you all xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Totally agree with the sentiments. People say they admire my positivity. Positivity is a mindset - they can't see inside my brain, which at some stages of the Docetaxol, herceptin, Perjeta cycle is a seething screaming angry exhausted mess.

It's my fault for not saying anything but they don't know about the aches and pains, the fluid retention, constipation and bloating followed by explosive diarrhea, the exhaustion, the sleepless nights, the self-conscious old baldy woman feeling, the vile tastes in the mouth, the leg cramps, eye twitches and sore nails, the nose bleeds and the mouth ulcers. Have I missed anything? Why don't I tell them - because it's not what they want to hear and it's not going to make anyone feel any better.

Last cycle a couple of relatives messaged me to ask how I was, for once instead of saying 'fine' I mentioned i was struggling a little. One said 'oh but you're in good hands' and the other said,' well look forward to it being over soon'.

So back on with the positivity and I'm sure I'll kick cancer's ass and keep everyone happy.