Terrified of starting chemo

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 15 replies
  • 313 subscribers

Hi 

I was at oncologist yesterday and i start chemo in 2 weeks. FECT 6 cycles 3 weeks apart.

I think it is becoming real now and Iam so scared. Please tell me this isn't as bad as I am imagining and i will get through this. 

I will have herceptin as well.

Worried sick. Just when I seem to settle down I then start worrying again. 

We go on holiday Saturday as managed to bring this forward. Don't want to ruin the holiday for everyone by worrying all the time. 

Thanks.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi unicorn 12

I'm on FEC-T and it hasn't been as bad as I expected. I found nothing unpleasant on the day of having chemo. The side affects a few days later are unpleasant  but they don't last long. For me day 3 after chemo was the worst but by the following day I could feel myself start to improve slowly and by the second week I was feeling so much better and by week three felt great. On my day 3 I just focused on the knowledge that I just need to get through it although it does seem a long day but knowing it wasn't going to last forever kept me going. You will be given meds to help with the side effects and you will be given contact phone numbers so if you have any concerns you can speak to someone day or night for advice. I don't know much about the T bit of chemo as I only had my first dose yesterday and I have to admit to being very nervous about going on to a different chemo drug, but it went well and i'm feeling great today but I know the side effects will kick in soon and I have no idea how bad they will be but knowing they won't last forever will get me through it. I've had moments during the side affects when I think I can't do this but they have only been brief moments and just me feeling sorry for myself but most of the time i've felt fine and have managed to get on with my life as normal. A lot of people manage to work during chemo usually only having the first week after chemo off. I can't work because my job involves long shifts but I have enjoyed having the free time. Drinking lots of water helps although that can be hard on the days of feeling nauseous but on the days that you can drink as much as possible it does help. They recommend one and a half to two litres a day. Fresh air and walks help with the fatigue. If you can't always manage a walk even just standing or sitting out in the fresh air makes a difference. Waiting as always is the worst but it's surprising how quickly you get through it. Please try not to over think and scare yourself, despite the side effects it is doable. I can"t believe i"m at cycle 4 already and only 2 more to go. My experience has been more good days than bad and that's what's made it doable. Sending you lots of good luck and best wishes xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am starting my chemo in a few weeks 4 sessions 3 weeks apart, i have had mastectomy with reconstruction and like you am really scared, i am anxious all the time. Since getting my wig etc i think it is hitting home.

I spoke to the doctor she has given me a telephone number for a self refersl councilling service, which i am goung to try.

If it gets worse i will ask for medication for a few months to help me over this period.

Ring your doctor i have been told this is all quite common

Enjoy your holiday

Maggie

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thsnks for your support. I have joined a cancer club which is on most weeks they do exercises chats days out etc, and i do try to go out walking a bit.

I have got to have EC Chemo but do not know what it is, have got my chemo chat tomorrow.

Sometimes it is good to have someone who you can talk to that understands what you are going through.

[Edited by Admin]

Hugs maggie xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi  and  

Pre chemo anxiety is VERY common and completely understandable, so don't worry that you're the only ones that are in that place at the moment. 

FEC-T  side effects can be  unpleasant, but people get through it, and often without as many difficulties as they think there will be! There are plenty of meds available to counteract the main SE and I would advise you to ensure that you take these as prescribed and ensure that you ring the chemo team with ANY queries or problems - they won't want you to suffer and are really good at changing  or altering meds to help. 

Be prepared to be kind to yourself for the first few days after the chemo session as this tends to be the worst time - after the first week, things tend to get better!

I would recommend reading the link in the first post of the monthly 'chemo club' thread  - the June one should be up soon - it has lots of useful tips for chemo from those who have been /are there! You'll also be in the company of people who are going through the same as you!

It is often the fear of the unknown that makes the thought of chemo worse - once you've had the first cycle, the anxiety tends to reduce a little as you know what you're in for! 

Keeping busy is the best way of keeping the anxiety at bay, so the holiday sounds like a great thing! Someone on here has given good advice in the past - try to only allow yourself to think about cancer related worries for 30 minutes a day, then find something else to do! Sounds simple and is sometimes easier said than done, but worrying about chemo is not going to change what happens and will only spoil the time you have before it starts! 

Hugs to both of you, and good luck when you start!

Image result for hugs gif

• Hi Minsky and Unicorn12, please don’t sit there worrying. This disease takes enough from you, without adding to it. Chemo is different for everyone, some are poorly, some have very minor side effects. If you are one of those that feels poorly, your team will look after you. Whatever happens, you will be amazed at how quickly the time passes and before you know it, it all seems like a bad dream. Just take it one day at a time and keep busy. Plan to have support around you, help with cleaning and cooking, especially if you have a family to care for. Plan to let things ‘slide’! Don’t attempt to keep things perfectly normal, as that just won’t happen. This is big and scary, but it is soooo doable! Chemo is hard, but the results can be amazing and it is all worth it in the end. Good luck both of you. If you need a shoulder, try the AWAKE thread, started by . It is a great source of comfort, advice and fun! Take care and let us know how you get on, xxx.

Jo Jo x

None of us wanted to be in this group, but we are glad we're not alone.

Diagnosis 2/8/17 IDC Her2+, 22mm, with spread to several lymph nodes. TCHP chemo started 23/8/17, Mx with immediate, temp recon 24/1/18, rads 20/3 to 10/4/18, Herceptin by IV until Nov 18. RR Mx Jan 23. Still waiting for reconstruction, but opting for simple implants, as opposed to Diep, due to long waiting lists for diep.

• Hiya  and , 

Following on from what weeblemum has said about thinking about your worries for only 30 mins. You imagine all your worries in a box in your mind. The box opens up for only 30 mins a day. After that you have to imagine shutting the box up, and if it starts to open again, you have to tell yourself to keep it shut till the next day. Be firm with yourself!!

I also want to tell you both that chemo was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. I pretty much sailed through fec, no nausea, nothing (I swear by my anti nausea travel bands). There were a few days afer each T chemo that I was under the weather, but to be honest when you are at that stage the end is in sight and you know you are nearly there. I did not work as I work in a school and schools can be pretty germy places, but I think I could have done, especially on fec.

One other thing that I used to keep saying to myself during those worrying waiting times, was that worrying about things will not change the outcomes - this did help me calm down. 

Cwtches,

Gay xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am on 4th cycle of FEC-T at moment. My chemo started within a week of diagnosis so had no time to think about it and to be honest just wanted it to start.

The actual chemo session is actually easy. Mine is administered by a cannula and once its in you dont feel a thing. Some of the drugs give you a funny taste in mouth but to be honest I sit drink tea and juice, read my kindle, play on my ipdad or work on my laptop

I havent been sick once, but have been very tired, bad constipation and mouth ulcers but they give you drugs to alleviate that. In fact the minute you have a symptom there is a drug to reduce or take it away. You get to know which days you are more tired

• FormerMember

I am due to start next Friday and like you in scared. 

But I think the unknown is often worse than the reality. I am trying to think In my head that it's only 6 sessions so really manageble. 

I have booked the week after treatment off work, booked in a weekly cleaner, filled the freezer with food, got my wig, sorted childcare and sorted out a chemo bag and now feel I've done all I can to help make things easier. 

You can do this unicorn it is such a short time feeling poorly if it gets those nasties and your still alive and kicking in 40 years! if you need to talk feel free to pm me as we are starting at similar time. 

Good luck and hugs x

• FormerMember

Hi little one

I think you are right the waiting and the unknown make things worse. 

What things are you taking in your bag. I was going to get those travel bands and ginger biscuits. I heard eating pineapple is good for side effects as well but not sure if that's true. 

I need to just try and forget about it till nearer the time. 

Good luck I will keep in touch 

X

• FormerMember

Hi 

Thank you Iam glad you are nearly finished your sessions and are doing well. It is good to hear and is reassuring. 

I just need to try and stop over thinking everything and try to relax. 

Thanks