Very heavy period with clots 5 months after stopping tamoxifen

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 314 subscribers

Hi everyone

I stopped taking tamoxifen after 4 and a half years.  My periods stopped whilst on tamoxifen, last one over 20 months ago and docs told me I was post menopausal.   Now 5 months after stopping the drug I am having a horrendous period.  Now on day 11, first 6 days extremely heavy bleeding - changing tampons every 1 - 2 hours, losing clots, some large as big as 10pence piece.    Waiting for referral appointment for scan.  Has anyone else experienced this?.  I know there is a rare chance of tamoxifen causing uterine cancer, but I am thinking this may be simply a build up of the lining over a long period of time and I am actually not post menopause after all. Any reassurance would be welcomed. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

It can be a shock to the body to suddenly stop tamoxifen.  Yes, it can cause uterine cancer, but from what you describe it could also be fibroids or any number of lovely female issues!

Please don't stress that it's cancer, hopefully your referral will come through soon, in the meantime make sure you don't get too anaemic, if you feel exceptionally tired, or the inside of your eyelids look pale, check with your GP and get some iron tablets in the meantime.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Hi I'm going through exactly the same thing feel like I'm hemorrhaging it's awful when and got checked tamoxifen has caused the lining of the uterus to thicken they also found a polyp which has been removed and sent off for biopsy fingers crossed there's nothing wrong already went through breast cancer back in 2017 all clear now think ill start taking tabs again just get yourself checked good luck

• Hi, I am going through the same thing, so far I only know I have thickening.  I took tamoxifen for 10 years after having BC twice and only stopped around 5 months ago.  Trying to remain positive until my next gynie appointment.  Was the return of your periods regular and if so are they always this bad?  Did you end up going back on the tabs?

• Hi,  I only took tamoxifen for a fairly short period, but when it was stopped, the same thing happened.  I had an ultrasound, a hysteroscopy (with biopsy) which was uncomfortable but quickly over,  and the results came back all clear.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you that this is also the case for you,  and that you hear definitely as soon as possible.   I am most definitely post menopause, and it still happened to me.