12 weekly Taxol hair loss

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 33 replies
  • 317 subscribers

Hi, I'm wondering what to expect with hair loss and feel I might be reaching the stage where I need to bite the bullet and shave it off or if I should carry on hanging in there. I have incredibly thick hair, and lots of it which is why I wear it short anyway. I'm on week 5 of weekly Taxol in low dose and Herceptin, so 2nd week of cycle 2 and my hair is coming out in handfuls and has been for a week. It did start shedding in week 2 but nowhere near this, I've probably lost a good third but evenly distributed. But if you didn't know me you wouldn't notice as I still have a good head of hair (although it now moves in the wind which I've never experienced in my life, quite a nice feeling!) My dilemma is I can't leave it alone and want the loose out and I only need to look at it and it seems to fall out, it's constantly falling on my neck and clothes so irritating. And at times my scalp is quite sore. I know there's no right answer as we all react differently but I would really appreciate hearing about other people's experience on weekly Taxol. I've not needed any other chemo so really don't know what to expect. I'm wondering if I should let it go so Im not wondering about it all the time or if I should just get a grip and see...

• My hair started to fall out quite quickly so whilst both my daughters were with me my husband shaved my head and the whole thing was  videoed.  There were laughs galore and a lot of painful faces as my husband was not too skilled at his job.  It was the best thing I could have done and have never looked back.  I have memories to look back on when eventually I have hair again and it was so empowering to be in control in some small part of my life at that time.  Since then I have not covered my head and I know this is not right for everyone but it was my way of saying to the world yes I have cancer but I'm dealing with it.

• Hi, I have just  discovered your post, hope you road to recovery  has been good x

Was just wondering  how your treatment  is going ? X

• Hi there, I'm doing ok thanks. Chemo was pretty gruelling and radiotherapy was tougher than I had anticipated but I did it Slight smile My hair eventually fell out but it's growing back thicker so not all bad! I'm still on Herceptin until November and Tamoxifen which I think my body is slowing getting used to. 

Hope you're doing ok and thanks for getting in touch. x

• Mum is on her 4th paclitaxel and had some shedding not noticeable  to anyone but her.im just wondering will it continue  to come out until the end  or will it start to fall in bigger chunks until its all gone? 

Glad to hear your on the road to recovery , how long  did you have radiotherapy  for?

Take care x

• I laughed at this because I thought the same.  I thought it might just fall on the floor in a shop or pass me in the swimming pool Rofl

• I started chemo with EC and lost most of the hair on the top of my head in the first cycle, despite trying cold cap. I got it clippered at that point and that stopped the discomfort. I didn’t cold cap for the remaining 3 EC treatments. After I switched to 12 weeks of Paclitaxel my hair started to come back. I have 3 more weeks of treatment to go and now have a reasonable covering of fluffy white duck down all over my head. Body hair is also growing back. I am not on Herceptin. 

• Mum's just had her 4th weekly paclitaxel, she is saying she has lost loads but it's not noticeable to us only thing that we can see at the moment is the roots have turned rather grey. Will hair continue to fall out as treatment goes on or will its stop and start to see regrowth  x

• I’ve just had my 7th and it’s still coming out gradually at the same rate - if that helps.  No regrowth yet….

• Hi . I don’t know - everyone is different. Mine came out with EC, which I had before the Paclitaxel. It started growing when I switched to Paclitaxel 

• Thank you for reply, I'm helping mum  brush her hair at the moment, as I brush seem like a canny few strands are coming out  but no patches  as of yet. The thing that's baffling me is she has grey at the scalp at aides almost like new hair growing ( her hair is always usually coloured  prior to this). Mum is due to have her 5th in Wednesday,  do you know if she can use product I her scalp to make it appear less patchy x

How are you feeling with the rest of your treatment ? X take care x