success stories - real life accounts of women who have survived breast cancer and managed to put it behind them

• 75 replies
  • 327 subscribers

This discussion thread is to post about women we know or meet that have survived breast cancer, lumpectomies, mastectomies, chemotherapy, radiotherapy and have not only got through it but put it all behind them and got on with their lives.

Some uplifting stories to read when we're feeling a bit hopeless.

Carolyn

xxx

• I almost forgot

I have a success story of my own, my cousin on my dads side had a smallish lump which was cleared with surgery, her surgeon was very good and very reassuring and she was offered radio as a mop up. She has definitely put it all behind her. Diagnosed in 2012, she'll be up to five years next year. No chemo but this should be reassuring for those affected with similar stage / grade / treatment plan.

And of course the lady on the tube, who stared into the middle distance and said "I had breast cancer once".

Carolyn

x

real life success stories to remind you that people do survive breast cancer

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/breast-cancer/f/38/t/115457

Dr Peter Harvey

https://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Carolyn28

My Mum was first diagnosed with breast cancer in her 50's in her left breast. She had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy. A year later she had a second primary on the right: again a lumpectomy. Several years later she had a third primary in her left breast. This time she couldn't have radiotherapy so had a mastectomy: no reconstruction. 

She is now 80 years old and clear of any breast cancer. 

So, despite having three different primaries, she has survived!

Part way through my treatment I went into the admin office at work to pick up my pay cheque. I sat down and explained why I had not been able to work consistently over the previous few months. One of the ladies quietly said that she had breast cancer the year after her husband died of cancer himself. She had a mastectomy and chemo as well as radiotherapy: in her words "I lost every hair on my body" . That was 10-15 years ago and she is healthy and in a new relationship. 

So, stats have their place but remember that you may be in the lucky end of those stats. 

I catch many women watching me in my hats and drawn on eyebrows and wonder if they are thinking "there but for the grace of God" or whether they are thinking "that was me and here I am now" .

By the way, one month on from chemo my eyebrows, lashes and hair are all beginning to grow back :)

Nicky xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I was sitting at my breakfast table reading these posts not really realising that I am a success story! All of a sudden it hits me that I have been so very lucky. Two years ago today I was waiting for my second breast surgery and had my treatment plan to follow in the months ahead.At the time it was a terrifying prospect and now I find it hard to believe that it was actually me that went through that whole process which probably sounds quite odd!! Automatic pilot took over and I more or less handed my life over to my medical team. They were all amazing and I will be forever grateful for the care I received and to my Macmillan nurse for being there. Today I have a scar along my right breast as a reminder but I hardly even notice it any more. It has become a part of who I am. One year ago I had no idea I would meet an amazing man who I have fallen head over heels in love with and we are now in the process of planning ahead to buy a new home and make a life together. I have a new outlook on life as a result of having cancer and in a strange way I think it has made me a better person. Who knows what lies ahead one year into the future but I am ready to face it head on and make my life as positive as possible. Yes, I really am incredibly lucky and grateful.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

What a coincidence! I came on here today to start a thread about a colleague who told me yesterday that she had just finished 5 years of hormone therapy after a mastectomy and radiotherapy. I've only known her since a month before my own diagnosis (which I hid from work, but which has probably become obvious now I'm back from my summer 'chemolidays' in a wig, or perhaps my manager told her so she would be a bit more flexible around my tight schedule of full time work + radio); anyway I had never imagined that I was working with someone who had experience of what I was going through (minus the chemo). She gave me some good, practical advice and I'm sure will be a source of info on the future. What really struck me is that I have never considered her anything but a professional, getting on with her life without a care in the world. That'll be all of us soon. (Fingers tightly crossed.)

With love

Lizz xxxx

• Went to a fundraising craft event today ( not for cancer )  and met 5 people who all told me they were BC  survivors .....one 15 yrs and one 24 yrs.......so these are more good news stories...

•  

hi Lizz I was thinking about tagging you in this thread this morning, perhaps I sent psychic messages   : )

good story.

how's everything going ?

Carolyn

x

real life success stories to remind you that people do survive breast cancer

Dr Peter Harvey

https://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Carolyn28

Hi Carolyn

I'm really touched that you were thinking about me - thank you. I'm just over halfway through radio now (18/33 done and dusted) and my skin is getting red and a little sore, and I'm tired from the daily appointments on top of full time work BUT work is making.a huge difference. It's definitely part of my treatment - I have other things to think about and I can't really be bothered to worry about cancer most of the time! I am trying to find a nice way to say that to the radio techs because one of them in particular seems to resent giving me appointments to fit in with my work, although the onco was lovely when I turned up 90 mins early one day (having been away from home for 12 hours at that point) - "if the lights are on we're open", he said, and no one else was waiting so I didn't adversely affect any other patients

So everything's great, so far.

How are you? I've been staying away from here as I'm really busy and sometimes reading about things others are going through makes me worry, but I'm so happy to know you're all still here and supporting each other.

With lots of love

Lizz xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

When I was diagnosed five years ago, I remembered a few ladies that hadn't made it, but when I started talking about it, a few other relatives popped up and said how long ago they'd had cancer and survived, and the more I talked about it the more people I met who had survived. 

•  real life success stories to remind you that people do survive breast cancer

Dr Peter Harvey

• What a great thread!!

I hardly go a day at work without meeting (or finding out, if I've known them a while) a customer who has survived cancer. Some of them had it 30 years ago. One old dear (she must be at least 80) threw her arms around me as I was leaving and said "its going to be fine".

My office manager had lumpectomy and radio a few years ago, she's had the all clear, still on Tamoxifen. Unfortunately we haven't managed to align our flushes yet.....

My mum is a priest in South Africa. Her Bishop's mum had BC 30 years ago and is still with us.

Karen