Any helpful tips on dealing with ec chemo?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 31 replies
  • 324 subscribers

Hi there, 

A bit scary posting for the first time here, but not half as scary as being diagnosed with breast cancer. I have had a bit of a rough time recovering from the operation to remove the tumor and lymph nodes with a wound that just wouldn't heal and now face my first episode of EC chemo starting at the beginning of September ( providing I am all healed by then) I would really appreciate any helpful tips on how to deal with my next step on this scary, confusing journey.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

While you wait for other answers you might find these two blogs helpful.

What to bring to chemo;

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Sal

Good idea to get ready for the next stage of your journey!

Teeth - some people have a check up (I didn't - what a wuss!) but I was advised to buy a child's toothbrush and toothpaste and gently brush teeth and use Difflam mouth wash ( from chemo

Unit) every time I ate, and to use a new tooth brush from the start of each chemo cycle. I did this and had no ulcers and virtually no soreness others report.

Decide if you want to try the cold cap - absolutely freezing but meant I kept my hair for daughters wedding mid-chemo! If you do you will need diversions - I used iPad mindless candy crush to pass the time.

Wig - if your hospital has a wig lady, see her and take her advice. My sister and I had a good laugh together there!

Get a variety of squashes - lemon barley, lime - I preferred sharp tastes. You should drink LOADS of water to flush the chemicals through, dilute your wee, keep you hydrated etc.

Many people like to nibble ginger or arrowroot biscuits, so buy a few.

To cheer myself up, I bought 6 bottles of champagne and lined them up

On the kitchen window sill. When I got home from each chemo session, I took one down and put it in the fridge ready for the post-chemo party! It was great to see the number declining!!!

Before setting out for my chemo, I put on red lippy and sparkly earrings. Why not?!!'

It will soon be finished - it's a few months of our life to greatly prolong our life - and then the new you will emerge with a different outlook on life!

Hope you heal more quickly

Keep posting and let us know how it goes!

xA

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Sal,

Brilliant advice from Anne (particularly the champagne!!!)

I would add that Epirubicin gives you pink wee for a couple of days - I found that this focused me on drinking loads of water as the more you wee the quicker the pink disappears.

I'd also say get a good thermometer and check your temperature regularly as a precaution - I've haven't had a problem with a raised temperature so far, either with fec or t but it's a good idea to keep an eye on it and call your chemo unit if it goes above 38. With the low white blood cell count after chemo, it's possible to get an infection which can be signalled by a raise in body temp.

Love Sarahxx

• FormerMember

Join the August chemo club  where other ladies are going through the same experience and can help you through it.. 

• Three bits of advice. 

Water - drink at least 2 litres a day, 3 litres in the first 24 hours after treatment. I had 3 x 750 ml bottles which I filled each morning so I could keep track of how much I drank. 

Don't ignore any side effects. Not everyone gets every side effect and some are serious, some are not. If you're at all concerned, contact your bcn, chemo unit or the emergency number you'll be given. Better to check than have something serious happen and anyway they can often give you something to help.

Be kind to yourself, let others help and don't stress if you can't do things - for example the world won't end if the house isn't vacuumed.

It's an unpleasant journey but you will get through it and one day you'll be here passing on what you've learned.

All the best

Lynn xx

Lynn xx 

• Brilliant advice from everyone (love the idea of the champagne, wins I'd thought of it!).   I would only add that if you feel sick (or are actually sick) get in touch with your bon, oncologist or GP straight away.  They don't like you being sick and will give you something to help.  Use the mouthwash they give you regularly after everything you eat and when your mouth feels dry, slimy or you just have a nasty taste.  If they don't prescribe anything ask the chemist for a bicarbonate of soda mouthwash, it will make it feel better. I've had no mouth ulcers or soreness and no oral thrush.  

Good luck with your chemo, we've all been through it on here & the Aug chemo club is really helpful.  Love and hugs

Wendy xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's so good to hear from others who have gone through the same experience. I feel reassured that I can cope a little better, armed with all the helpful hints. Thank you so much for all the advice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Like the other ladies said drink drink drink

Water is really important and lots of it at least two litres a day. I use the volvic stuff with a hint of lemon and lime in it because it tastes good.

Bitter and salty things are also good if you are having trouble eating because they seem to taste nice.

Don't worry about eating big meals - eat little and often (it really works). 

If you experience nausea ask to try different types of anti sickness drugs if the first ones you try don't work for you. There are lots of different types and some are really good.

Keep a diary of your thoughts and feelings it really helped me to write things down as it made me feel better. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi sal125. I've just had my 3rd fec chemo. Now going onto docetaxel for 3 cycles 

I take a word search book with me as it passes the time really quick and keeps your brain active.

I've had a little bit if a sore mouth but nothing to complain about.

I drink lots of fluids everyday (not alcohol) I don't drink.

I've never had any problems with vomiting ,diarrhoea or constipation 

I couldn't use the cold cap due to other health problems made it unbearable to use .started 

Losing my hair 14 says after first chemo.

Everyone is different.

You'll get steroids and anti sickness tabs to use 3 days after every chemo and use antisickness tabs when/if you need them after your 3rd day.

You'll have a yellow chemo card you fill out every night.

I got told to just take my temperature once a day unless you think/know you have a temperature 

You'll also get a phone number for the chemo ward incase you need /want to call them about if your temp goes up or you have any type of cold /flu /infection as you'll get admitted 

It is a lot to take in  but if I can do it anyone can do it

We're all here for you if need to ask any questions

Take care

Love and hugs 

Val x

• FormerMember

Hi Anne and all the other lovelies on here

Im not sure if this is a question I have already asked or not! With regards to EC chemo.  I have read on one of the Forums that there is no point cold capping with EC as it's guaranteed hair loss.  Is that correct?

I was going to at least try the cold cap but if this is true then I won't bother!

Thank you x