Brain tumour further Treatment suggestion....

• 4 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi All,

My father was being diagnosed with Brain tumour Grade 3 last year May . He underwent brain surgery and radiation therapy. Doctors said we were not able to remove the whole tumour because it was risky.  So now its been one year and the tumour size has again increased. I am really worried what to do and going for operate is really risky. Any suggestions if anyone could give that would be really helpful.

• Hi H_35A

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about your father. Life's too cruel.

We're in a not dis-similar situation. My husband was diagnosed with a grade 4 brain tumour in Sept 2020. He too had surgery followed by 6 weeks of oral chem/radiotherapy. He then declined all further treatment. His most recent MRI images have shown the presence of a second tumour.

In our case, the oncologist has requested a second scan to determine rate of growth and we'll discuss the options in about 6 weeks' time. He mentioned the possibility of further radiotherapy but there was no mention of further surgery, We'll just need to wait and see what he advises when we see him towards the end of November.

Throughout this journey I've been led by what my husband wants and can cope with. 

I'd suggest you write down all your questions/concerns and talk things through with your father's medical team. Take the notes to the appointment to help you keep on track when they are discussing the options open to you. There really is no "one size fits all" approach here. In my husband's case, he just wants to stay as well as he can so he can run every day. He doesn't want any treatments that are going to make him feel ill for the sake of gaining very little extra time. I have to respect that as its him who has to deal with the effects of any treatment.

This group is a really safe and supportive space so I'm confident that others will be along with their words of wisdom shortly. There's always someone around who gets it, someone to listen. You're not alone.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now I'm sending you positive vibes, healing love and light. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Really sorry to hear about your father. I have a inoperable brain tumour as well and have had radiotherapy and chemotherapy.

my last scan actually showed everything is stable, and my oncologist said to keep doing what I’m doing. I don’t really know what that is, but diet wise I’m a vegetarian but I do eat a lot of chocolate and drink a lot of coffee so whether caffeine has something to do with it?
    I also have a brain training app on my phone as I had to read that brain tumours can affect cognitive function. So far fingers crossed mine hasn’t been affected, only my mobility has so hopefully nothing will get worse

• Thanks, Wee Me for the kind words.  Hope everything will get heal soon... 

• Thanks, Charlotte, for giving the insights. Will definitely gona try this for my father.