New diagnosis

• 2 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi all 

don’t really know how to work this site or even if Ive wrote this in the right place!! Forgive me!! 
About 4 months ago I was diagnosed with a suspected primary low grade brain tumour! They don’t want to do a biopsy at the moment because it’s too deep in my brain, so going by a few MRI scans, this is what they suspect it is. And as it stands it’s not causing me any harm! So it’s the case of “ wait & see” which has made me a bag of nerves I’m not sleeping at all, I’m a young mum to 5 children so I need myself together not falling apart like I am at the moment ! To top it off I’ve googled  low grade tumour & it’s saying I have 7 years left to live! I really don’t know what to do moving forward & even how to feel! Any advice would me more than welcome. 

• HI Cee cee

a warm welcome to the group. Yes, you've come to the right group to post. So sorry to hear about what you are going through. 

My husband was diagnosed with a grade 4 brain tumour in Sept 2020 so I can empathise with what you are going through to an extent having supported him for the past two years. It's absolutely terrifying when you listen to the doctors and hear them talking about brain tumours and know that it's you or your loved one that they are talking to about.

This group is a really safe and supportive space so I am confident that there will be someone else along shortly with more relevant experience and words of wisdom to share with you. Please reach out here anytime. There's always someone around to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone here.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

I'm not big on giving advice but I would caution against using Dr Google. He's a very scary person and you'll have yourself dead and buried before you finish reading. Focus on what your own Dr is telling you as it is relevant to you. Everyone here is unique, and no two diagnoses are identical as we are all individuals. 

One piece of advice I was given to help support my husband way back at the start was to write down all the questions/fears/concerns and take those notes to the next appointment with the medical team. Those notes will keep you on track and help you focus on asking about the things that matter to you. There's no such thing as a silly question here. Its so easy to feel overwhelmed during those appointments.

As for how to feel - let the emotions work their way through. It's the strongest and most resilient among us who show our emotions. Its far healthier than bottling them up. There is no right or wrong way to feel. It takes time to get your head round the situation and to process all the information. Don't rush it.

If you're struggling to sleep it might be an idea to call your dr or your GP and have a chat about what support and guidance they can offer here.

For now though, know that this group is here for you. I'm sending you lots of positive energy, love and light and a huge virtual hug. Stay positive. Stay strong. You're coping so much better than you give yourself credit for (You'll just need to trust me on that)

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Ah hi 

wee me, 

thanks so much for the reply and I’m sorry to also here that your going through heartache too! 
    I know we all have to be strong , as really that’s the only option we have! 
    but it isn’t easy whatsoever, thanks for the support & information you’ve provided 

many thanks 

cee cee