Lung Cancer And Brain Metastatis

• 1 reply
  • 53 subscribers

Hello,

About 15 months ago, just after my 81st birthday, I was diagnosed with non small cell lung cancer – adenocarcinoma
and one single spot metastasis cell in the brain

I had several sessions of radio therapy on the brain followed by several sessions on the lungs

A couple of scans later showed that the lungs "are fine". However, the brain cancer has grown slightly since the last scan although it is still smaller than the original scan

In recent days my medical team decided not to attempt surgery on the brain at present as I might end up being not as well as I am now. I am swimming 3/4 of a mile 6 days a week and golfing twice a week albeit on a buggy. So my life style is quite acceptable. Another scan in 3 months time, I am told , may bring surgical intervention back on the agenda

My GP spoke to me last week as he does every 6 weeks and he told me that large strides have been made in treatment and that 10-15 years ago we wouldn't have been having the conversation

I have been on dexamethasone several times and my last course is a 4mg daily dosage reducing to 1 mg in a couple of weeks time. This latest dosage was introduced because I have been experiencing more regular headaches but I have to say that these headaches are quite mild

That is a little potted history of my case

It didn't take too long to receive the dreaded request from Swansea to surrender my driving licence. It may not be important to some people but it does result in a great loss of freedom. Because my last scan shows "progression" we have to be worried about the possibility of seizures/fainting. There hasn't been the slightest feeling of seizures EVER.
What irritates me is the fact that I know personally people who have had stroke/ heart attacks on the golf course. Obviously they are using buggies now but they are still driving on the Queen's highway. I suggest that there are many more medical conditions where organs are more likely to cause danger on the road ( end of rant )

• Hi Smilt22

a warm welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about all that you've been through. 

I'm supporting my husband through his stage 4 brain tumour journey and surrendering hi driving licence was one of the biggest blows. He's always been so passionate about his cars. 

I guess though the doctors just have to be cautious and at the end of the day they are trying to keep you safe (even though it might not feel like it) Hopefully you'll be able to reapply for your licence further down the line. Sadly my husband's is gone for good because of the nature of his tumour.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm