Hi

• 6 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi I'm new here my name is Amy. My dad has just been diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer we have just been told that he only has at most 12 months to live. Everything has happened so fast my world has come crashing down in the space of 7 weeks. 

Me alongside my mum are caring for my dad full time with the help from my sisters I help to give his medication and monitor his blood sugar I'm so scared and looking for support 

• HI Amygrace33

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis and all that you and your family are going through.

I can empathise with the rollercoaster journey you are on. My husband was diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumour in Sept 2020. Nothing prepares you for a diagnosis like that and those first few weeks were so emotionally overwhelming for all of us. It was a total whirlwind.

This group is a really safe and supportive space. You're not alone. Everyone here "gets it" and  there's always someone around to listen, to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. 

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

One of the most important things I've learned over the past couple of years is that you need to take time out for yourself - me time - to recharge your batteries. Its not selfish. Its essential to helping you cope with all that's going on.  So please make sure you, your mum and your sisters take time for yourselves here too- even if its just 10 minutes to sit with a coffee and a book. 

Sending you a huge virtual hug. Here to listen if you have any questions. Take it all one step at a time. Focus on the known facts and try not to worry about the "what ifs". You're doing so much better than you give yourself credit for (you'll just need to trust me on that) Oh and remember to breathe!

love n hugs

Wee Me xxx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi sending you a virtual hug. The diagnosis is devastating for all and those first few weeks all you want to do is cry. Sounds l8ke your all doing a great job and stay strong. X

• Hi thankyou so much for taking the Time to reply my dad is going to be having a course of radiotherapy they said it will be every day for 15 days and he's going to taking part in a clinical trial. It just feels like information overload.

• Thankyou so much for replying to me I just start crying randomly I'm trying to hold it together in front of my mum and dad he keeps saying he's sorry that he's let us down I've told him he's got nothing to apologise for

• These early weeks are information overload. It's easy to feel overwhelmed. One wee tip - write all your questions and concerns down and take the notes to the appointments with you or give them to your mum to take. They'll help keep you on track and make sure you don't forget to ask something that's important to you.

One step at a time. Stay strong here.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Honestly first few weeks all we did was cry. It was shock and fear. This is an awful illness which you can not totally understand unless it had happened to you. It is total information overload too at a time when you can't take anything in. This forum is great to share and offload with people who totally understand. X