Hello

• 2 replies
  • 53 subscribers

My husband has recently been diagnosed with brain tumours and is undergoing tests to determine a treatment plan.  He had a sinus biopsy last week after which he developed a water infection and now we are awaiting an appointment for a PET scan.

Originally in early June we thought he’d had a stroke as he lost the ability to speak, only for about 10mins but this happened twice in a couple of weeks so he was admitted for further tests.

the tumours were discovered and he then had CT and MRI but they couldn’t determine what type of treatment he needs.  Hopefully now he’s had the biopsy things will start moving.

it’s very frightening going through this with him and not knowing what’s ahead.  I support him all I can but working full time is really pushing me some days.  Is anyone out there going through this too?

• HI Netty99

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about all that you and your husband have been going through. I hope you get the biopsy results through soon so that you both know what you are dealing with. Not knowing is so much harder than knowing.

My husband was diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumour in Sept 2020 so I can empathise with the emotions you are going through. Those first few weeks were a whirlwind of emotions until we discovered what we were dealing with. 

It's a scary time. Nothing prepares you for hearing a diagnosis like that so please don't be too hard on yourself here about the way you are feeling. It's all perfectly natural. I cried oceans of tears in those first few months...still do some days... but you get through it, Like you, I work fulltime but have been very fortunate in that I have a very understanding boss and can also work from home. You just need to take it all one step at a time. I hope your employer is supportive as that makes such a difference.

This group is a really safe and supportive space so please reach out here anytime. You might also want to explore Carers only forum - Macmillan Online Community too. Both groups have been a great source of support to me personally over the months. There's always someone around to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Two wee pieces of advice - write down all your questions and concerns and take those notes to the appointments with you. It's very easy to feel overwhelmed at these appointments and the notes will help to keep you focused and hopefully get the answers you need. Also please take time to look after yourself too. Taking "me time" is essential to help you get through this so go for a walk,  have a coffee with a friend, go to the gym- do whatever helps you recharge your own batteries here.

For now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug. Remember to breathe. Stay strong,

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much for your advice I will certainly take notes and remember what you have said.

Life is certainly different and it’s really hard to take me time when there is just the 2 of us most of the time.

thanks for the support and take care yourself 

Netty