Grade 4 tumour

• 6 replies
  • 49 subscribers

My dad has just recently been diagnosed with a grade 4 brain tumour , he has just started radiotherapy and today started his chemotherapy drug too, as you can imagine it has been quite a shock for us all and we are still trying to get our heads around all the info etc 

Would greatly appreciate  any information around the chemo side are the side effects as bad as they sound , my wee dad is 75 .

• Sorry  to hear about your dad's diagnosis. I was diagnosed last December with GBM 4, had op to remove what they could in December then had the combined Radiation and Chemo therapy for 6 weeks at start of the year. Main side effect I suffered from was sickness which continued for a week until I got right combination of anti sickness tablets. Main thing to do is if your dad does suffer with sickness speak to the oncology nurses as soon as you can they'll sort out the different types of anti sickness tablets or they did for me. I sure everyone gets different side effects the other I got was lost of taste and dry mouth both due to radiation as I found out. Spoke to district nurse about dry mouth and they got me some gel to sort that out. I'm now on 6 months cycle of just chemo TMV. Biggest side effect I've come across is around 3 months in the tiredness hit like a hammer. Spoke to oncology nurse about it and they had expected it.  Hope some of that helps. Hope your dad is doing well and remind him to listen to his body and take it easy when he needs to. Take care of yourself as well. You are all in my thoughts. 

• Aww Thank-you so much , we just don't know what to expect , my dad is in good form and very positive which is great . They couldn't operate on the tumour they were only able to do a biopsy but the hospital have been amazing and everything has happened so quickly which is great.

Thanx so much will remember all those points you have mentioned x

1. Hope you are doing well too take care xx

• Hi Ravechick

a warm welcome to the online community. Sorry to hear about your dad's diagnosis.

My husband, then 50, was diagnosed GBM4 in Sept 2020 and like Geoff19 below, underwent surgery to debulk the tumour then the 6 weeks of oral chemo/radiotherapy. He was given strong anti-sickness drugs for the first week and told to take them whether he felt sick or not. He took them but never actually felt sick for the entire sick weeks. He admitted towards the end of the 6 weeks that he felt queasy all the time. Fatigue was his only side effect. It hit about week 4 and lasted for about 4 weeks after the treatment cycle finished.

Everyone is unique here though so if you have any concerns about your dad talk to the CNS as I'm fairly sure there are various drugs they can prescribe to get him through the 6 weeks as comfortably as possible.

One thing to perhaps watch out for, in my husband's case, he seemed more confused while undergoing the radiotherapy but this settled once the treatment cycle finished.

Please reach out to this community anytime. It's a safe supportive space and as you've already experienced, there's always someone around to listen, hold your hand or even offer a virtual hug when its needed. You might also want to explore Carers only forum - Macmillan Online Community Personally I've drawn a lot of support from both groups over the past 22 months.

It’s always good to talk so please remember you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Sending you a huge virtual hug. Take care.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much wee me xx

Really appreciate all the advice that both you and Geoff have offered

My dad has felt a bit queezy today but still staying in good form and going positive . I've said yhat if he's still feeling this way tomorrow to speak to a nurse when he goes for his radiotherapy .

It's so nice knowing there are people who understand and can chat about it all thank you for sharing shout your hubby 

Take care and sending you both a virtual hug xx

• Hi 

sorry to hear about your dad

i was diagnosed with a grade 3 inoperable brain stem tumour in April 2021

i had 6 weeks of radiotherapy and chemotherapy and I’ve just finished my 12th month of chemotherapy only

I had temozolomide tablets 5 days of every 28

i just got very tired towards the end of each cycle 

if your dad also has obdansetron anti sickness with them they made me very constipated and I was going over a week which is painful 

the chemotherapy tablets are not that bad I got worse side effects from the radiotherapy and tumour as they have really effected my mobility 

hope all goes well for your dad and look after yourself 

• Thank you so much for your reply , hope you are doing well at the minute xxx

My dad has just finished 3 weeks of radiotherapy and 2 weeks of the chemotherapy tablet he has just started to lose his hair but is in great form which is good. It's just a waiting game now to see iFingers crossedthe treatment has worked Fingers crossed it has .

Sending you a big hug , and keep fighting your doing great xx