Brain Stem, no cure

• 1 reply
  • 53 subscribers

Hi

It feels alien to be even writing this.  Yesterday we were told my beautiful full of life daughter has a brain stem tumour that will never go away and she will die.

I know I'm not the first mum to go through this highly emotional thing but it feels surreal  I am beyond sad that she can't plan a future, have a baby or do her job as a teacher that she loves.  Im also in turmoil for her sister and brother (29 and 22)  they all lost their dad and beloved grandpa 8 years ago and my son especially is finding this hard to absorb.

I know we are in the early days   we don't yet know the full prognosis we just know we will lose her

I will be there for het but have to work, I'm moving back to the UK (added complications) but my husband will have to stay as it seems impossible to rent with dogs - i know feels like a silly point but feels like everything is just impossible.

I'm not sure what I am hoping for from the group.   I guess to know I can do this, although right now i feel numb and out of control. I am never out of control! 

Thank you for reading

• HI Lskl

a warm welcome to the online community. So sorry to hear about your daughter's diagnosis and all that your family are going through. Life's so cruel.

I can't imagine the pain of facing losing a child. I'm facing losing my husband of 27 years to a stage 4 brain tumour and that's hard enough. 

As you say it's early days so my advice for now is to take this one step at a time. Try not to over think the "what ifs" and focus on the facts. I'm sure you have a raft of appointments on the horizon so I would suggest that you and your daughter write down all the questions you have for the medical team, however trivial they may seem and take those notes to the appointment with you. They'll help make sure that you remember to ask them. These early appointments can be so overwhelming.

This group is a really safe and supportive environment so please reach out here whenever you feel the need. There's always someone around to listen, to offer their words of wisdom, to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed.

It’s always good to talk so please remember you and your family can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now, I'm sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm