Glioblastoma grade 4

• 1 reply
  • 54 subscribers

I don’t even know where to start.! Some one I love so much and am so close to! 
In December 2021 my nan was taken to hospital due to slurred speech. After doing tests and scans they said they could see some swelling on the brain. 
2 weeks later we then found out that it wasn’t just swelling it was in fact a mass of the Brain. She has had seizures, blood platelet problems and swelling. In the space of 5 months she has deteriorated very quickly, while not actually telling us as a family the full story. We had to find out from letters that it is a grade 4 glioblastoma. As a 20 year old this is the first thing Like this I’ve ever had to deal with and I’m really struggling to come to terms with the fact that this tumour is inoperable and the fact that my nan who I am in fact so close with is struggling so much. 

• Hi Lucie

a warm welcome to the group. I am so sorry to hear about your nan and equally sorry that you and the family found out the diagnosis in a letter. That kind of thing makes my blood boil as its happened to us all too often.

My husband was diagnosed with a grade 4 glioblastoma in Sept 2020 so I can relate to your situation, At the time our son and daughter were only 22 and 20 and like you have never experienced anything like this.

There are no hard and fast ways to cope with the situation. We're all humans and we run on emotions. Trust me that whatever you are feeling is perfectly natural. I've gone through every emotion in the book and then some over the past 21 months.. 

As a family, we take each day as it comes. My daughter especially has tried to make plenty of memories with her dad. Its not an easy journey but be led by what your nan needs and wants. Be there for her when you can. Talk. Take photos or videos. Have fun  and a laugh with her if you can. 

Please reach out here anytime you feel you need someone to talk to or someone to listen as there's always someone around who gets it, someone to hold your hand and someone to offer a virtual hug when its needed.

There's another couple of groups that you might want to explore on here too. Glioblastoma multiforme brain tumour - Macmillan Online Community and Supporting someone with incurable cancer forum - Macmillan Online Community.

It’s always good to talk so  please remember you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Hope this has helped a little. I know nothing I say can take the worry and pain away. It's a cruel diagnosis for all involved.

For now though, I'm sending you and your nan a huge virtual hug.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm