Wife recently diagnosed with brain cancer

• 3 replies
  • 55 subscribers

We’ve been waiting for results of an MRI for my wife who’s just spent a year fighting breast cancer, yesterday she was diagnosed with an inoperable tumour to the lower back of her brain about 2.5 to 3.5cm apparently and also they said it was in the brain lining too!

my world has been shaken, turned upside down, put through and shredder, mixed and then shaken again!

We are both only 47 and we were planning loads of stuff for our 50th year, we’ve been together 13 years now and married for 6.

she’s lost her balance, speech is majorly slurred and I feel I’m losing the most important person in my life! 
The only thing they can try to shrink it with is full head radiotherapy! Actually we were given 2 options - leave it and do nothing and let the cancer take her or buy some time with radiotherapy! 
obviously we want to buy time and hope to have some kind of improvement! 
I just can’t stop crying right now I’m lost completely lost!

• Hi 

I’m sorry to hear about the diagnosis. It must be particularly hard after fighting breast cancer.

Last year I was diagnosed with a brain tumour that cannot be operated on as it is on the brain stem. I had 6 weeks of radiotherapy and I have chemotherapy tablets every 28 days. The treatment has caused mobility issues but there have been no cognitive problems and my personality hasn’t been affected. 
    I try not to dwell on the fact that this isn’t going to get better but from what the doctors told me the tumour would eventually cause worse symptoms without treatment anyway . I’m 34 and sometimes do feel like I’m watching the clock.

personally I would take the treatment and fight but you both have to do what is best for you and your family. Try and get support where you can xx

• HI Duncan2022

a warm welcome to the online community. So sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis especially after fighting breast cancer. This life is too cruel at times.

My husband (then 50) was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour in Sept 2020 so I can empathise with what you are going through. It's a total rollercoaster of emotions. As Charlotte says below, its worth pursuing the treatment if she can cope with it and the team agree its the best option. Nothing is guaranteed and timescales spoken about are guidelines . Each person is unique and they react to treatment differently. We're in the situation where my husband is almost 5 months beyond the timeframe we were given initially. 

This group is a really supportive community so please reach out whenever you feel the need. There's always someone around who gets it and who is there to listen and offer  a virtual hug when its needed. You might also want to check out Carers only forum - Macmillan Online Community

It’s always good to talk so remember you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now I'm sending you both a huge virtual hug. Stay strong. You're coping so much better than you give yourself credit for. (you'll just have to trust me on that.)

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• My husband has been diagnosed with a brain tumor in December and had 6 weeks of radiotherapy and chemotherapy 2 of which was in hospital with clots on his lungs.he is now on week 3 of a 4 week break before starting the next round of chemo most of which has been spent in bed feeling unwell and is now in hospital with a chest infection and being told that the treatment hasn't worked so the tumor has got bigger.

We both just keep crying and finding it hard to stay positive for our 10 year old daughter.