New to the group and saying hello to you all :)

• 3 replies
  • 53 subscribers

Hey folks,

My names Vaughan. My sister has a Glioma that was discovered in 2018. It is stage 1 and we have been told it is in-operable. 

She is 40, lives with her partner of 10 years and has 2 children - 19 and 12. 

We found out about the tumour because she started having seizures/episodes that have continued (multiple daily) - but we have been told these aren't associated with the tumour.

I'm aware that my family have been very much in denial and have barely explored cancer. As such it's a new and often challenging subject when we do talk about it with each other....which bring me here. I'm keen to find support, a safe space to talk with people in a similar position as me, a place where I may find a few answers to the questions we haven't even considered asking and a place to perhaps become more familiar with my feelings, fears, and concerns about the future.

Thanks in advance for your time and energy as we walk this path together, and thank you Macmillan for this platform for communication, information and community.

It feels good to have started this journey and reached out.

Cheers folks

Vaughan   

• Hi Vaughan,

I am sorry to hear your sad news.
    i too have just started on this awful journey with my dad. I have no one to ask or know what expect either. My parents seem to be in complete denial which I think is just one of coping. I can not believe my lovely amazing dad will not be here at Xmas. 
    Best wishes

sarah

• Hi Vaughan, 

i too was recently discovered a glioma, stage 2, but had an operation in December that removed almost all of it. Now going through radiotgerapy and then chemo. 
    No journey is the same and we all have different ways of dealing with our situation. 
    We’re all here to support each other, if you have any questions or just want to talk, you’re in the right place.

If it helps, there are two books that you could recommend to your sister (and even read them yourself) that have changed the game for me, and I hope they can also provide a different perspective for your sister and your family. Eat to beat disease from Dr William Li and Radical remission from Kelly A Turner.

i wish you both all the best! 
    Maria

• Hi Vaughan

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about your sister. Sounds like its been  tough time for you all.

I'm supporting my husband through his cancer journey. (It's easy to forget that a brain tumour is cancer in some ways) He was diagnosed with a stage 4 Glioblastoma in Sept 2020 so its been an emotional rollercoaster ride for us all for the past 18 months. My husband doesn't really talk about his diagnosis much and is to an extent in denial about the seriousness of it and more especially the emotional impact on myself and our kids (22 and 24). He keeps insisting he's fine.

This group has been a huge source of support for me so I hope that you find it as supportive. There's always someone around her who gets it. Friends are great but if they've no experience of the journey then they don't always understand where your head and your heart are at.

It’s always good to talk so please remember you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now I'm sending you positive light and love and hugs

Wee me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm