Feeling sad and alone

• 2 replies
  • 54 subscribers

I have a brain tumour and I’m currently in treatment for it, but it’s not the cancer that is making me feel sad and alone. I have a lot of free time between my treatments but I don’t have a lot of things to do in this time. All my friends are off busy with their own lives so it’s hard to see them. I just feel so alone all the time and I don’t know how to cope with those feelings. 

• Hi Claudia

a warm welcome to the group. So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope your treatment is going well.

My husband was diagnosed with a brain tumour in Sept 2020. Everyone's situation is different but he was left with communication issues (he can barely read, gets easily confused and can only follow simple instructions) He too was feeling lost as he was used to working 10hrs a day then going for a run. His world went upside down almost overnight. Like you, his friends were all at work.

He finished his treatment at the end of 2020 so has been able to pick up his fitness routine and runs most days now. He also tries to catch up with his friends for lunch on the days they are still working from home. Is that maybe an option or even a quick coffee?

i do worry that he spends hours on You Tube watching Lord knows what but then I think we're all guilty at times of watching the cute kitten videos. 

We even resorted to Lego to keep him amused. He had fun building a few things.

Do you have any hobbies you could resume? My daughter has taught herself to crochet and uses that as a way of coping with her dad's situation. 

I'm conscious that these might sound trivial wee things to try.  At the end of the day there's no real substitute for human comfort. Are there any local groups you could join? Is there a Maggie's centre near you that you could visit? Our local hospice has a drop in centre where folk can go for a coffee, get access to complementary therapies etc. 

It’s always good to talk so remember you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

I'm not sure any of this has been much use to you. Sorry. This group has been a great source of support to me over the past 17 months. Hopefully some of the other members might have some other suggestions here for you.

Sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay strong. Stay positive

love n hugs

Wee me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• I felt like this. After treatment I'm sorry but it gets worse. Focus on the positives and what you can do. I have a park where I collect twigs and make wooden hearts for my friends and family. I bought a glue gun. It just gives me something relaxing to do without a time frame or even if I'm low on energy.

Do some research around how brain injuries/cancer/damage and its placement can effect you. My tumor is right side and I feel far more anxious then before, my personality is not as laid back, I'm morsnappy with the everyone. I can be rude and I really have no filter which my family think is hilarious at times Joy