Husband has grade 4 glioblastoma

• 2 replies
  • 54 subscribers

Hi,

2 weeks ago i got my friend to take my husband to a&e because he was acting so strangely. I noted all his symptoms and they scanned him and found a brain tumour. He is still in hospital.

They are hoping to send him home this week.

We have 3 young children, our youngest is 3. Im terrified of what is going to happen. We have been told that with treatment he could have up to a year.

The doctor today asked him what he would want to do if his heart stopped when he was not in the hospital. Is that normal? What does he mean? Surely i call an ambulance?

We havent been told what to expect or how to manage anything, im so scared.

Also, with having 3 children who are at school im worried that they will bring home illnesses and my husband wont cope if he is having chemo etc. 

Any advice please?

Thanks

• Hi Autisticmama

welcome to the online community. I am so sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. It sounds as though it has all happened very quickly so no wonder you feel overwhelmed and a little scared.

My own husband was diagnosed with GBM4 just over a year ago so I can relate to what you are going through. 

I suspect what the doctor was asking you about what to do if his heart stopped was in relation to a DNR. Would your husband want resuscitated if anything untoward were to happen? It's something to talk to your husband about.

If I were you, I'd talk to your husband's medical team (possibly without him being present ) and raise all your concerns and ask all your questions. They will be best placed to explain his condition to you. I remember being scared bringing my husband home after his surgery as initially he was still very confused and a bit frail. 

Another person to talk to is your GP as they may be able to assist with a support/care package to help you, especially as you have young children. 

Macmillan Support Services also offer lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two to three working days for replies from our expert team.

There are another couple of groups within this community that I have found to be very supportive. They are (+) Glioblastoma multiforme brain tumour - Macmillan Online Community and (+) Carers only forum - Macmillan Online Community.

sending you a huge virtual hug. Stay strong. You will get through this.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi

How are you feeling it's such a scary time. My daughters are 12 and 14 and we've been on our journey since April 2020.

Hope your husband is home now.

Mine is sleeping on a bed downstairs and me in another bed downstairs as he can't do stairs.

My daughters couldn't have the flu nasal spray as it's a live vaccine when hubby was on chemo.

No mouth