POST OPERATIVE SITUATION

• 3 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hi I am new to this forum. I have had 3x brain ops to remove 2x distinct Sarcoma variants. I had 2x ops in the USA and they declared me free of Big C and just required that I had an MRI every 6 months to confirm nothing has come back. Six months later back in the UK and was shocked to hear that my first post op MRI detected an almond sized tumour on my brain. I could not believe it but went through the process and ended up in The Walton Centre under the knife. It turned out the tumour was a completely different strain of Sarcoma. All I could think of was why me? I was discharged with a requirement to have 16 weeks of radio therapy and an MRI every 3 months. In all of this stressful period both prior to and post diagnosis and treatment I have not been unwell or lost control of my faculties. However bureaucracy triumphed in that on my pre op interview in UK I was told to surrender my driving licence. It is now 2 years since I was diagnosed and still no news on my licence. I live in N Wales in a rural setting and the lack of a licence is soul destroying, particularly since I do not have, or have ever had any symptoms. Has anyone else had this experience and what was the trigger required to move DVLA. THANK YOU! 

• HI GreenWalker 

apologies for the delay in replying. So sorry to hear about all you've been through.

My husband was diagnosed with a GBM 4 tumour last year and the day of his initial diagnosis that there was some sort of mass present, he was advised  by his consultant that his driver's licence would be suspended. His subsequent surgery and formal diagnosis meant that sadly his licence is gone forever.

I'd suggest you speak to your consultant or even your GP to confirm how the land lies with the DVLA  or you could try calling Macmillan Support Services also offer lots of information, support, financial guidance or just someone to listen. It’s free to call 0808 808 0000. Most services are available 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week.

I hope that you get this resolved soon one way or another. I know from my husband's experience losing his licence that way was a huge blow to him. He'd always been all about his car. 

stay positive here.

Love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks See Me. Your hubbies situation is not good, and I do hope that mine does not go the same way. As with everything else its a simple matter to take away the licence but not so simple to get it back. I will follow the lines of attack you have recommended and will keep this forum updated. It is pure bureaucracy and an unjustifiable removal of personal liberties. 

Best wishes to you and your husband.