Serious tumour with no obvious symptoms

• 5 replies
  • 53 subscribers

I have been told told this week hat my glioma was inoperable and that radiotherapy might buy me a few extra months.

This has all been extremely upsetting for me and my family, as you will appreciate, but I’m finding it hard to accept the situation. I still have the occasional seizure, I feel tired and quite badly depressed a lot of the time, but I have no other symptoms. No headaches, no dizziness, no nausea. I am grateful for that, of course, but I’m puzzled as to why I have no other outward signs of the gravity of my condition.

• Hi baralbion, so sorry to hear you've had bad news this week and can understand how distressing it is for you all.

I can only speak from the experience I've gone through with my husband. He was diagnosed with a GBM4 tumour a year ago. Initially apart from what later we realised had been either a seizure or a bleed, there were no signs of how serious things were. Even now to look at him, there's very little sign of the gravity of things  and still no headaches. He too has his dark days but so far we've made it through them all.

Everyone is different. Everyone's tumour is different and everyone copes differently. I'd encourage you to ask your dr and the team about any concerns that you have, no matter how trivial you may feel they are. We asked a casual conversation about my husband no longer feeling thirsty and turned out it was an important one for us to ask and now keep an eye on.

It's a lot to take on board for all of you and remember your family can reach out here too. There's no right or wrong way for any of you to feel just now. 

stay strong. stay safe

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thank you so much. May I ask whether he has had any kind of treatment?

• HI. of course you can ask Slight smile  He had surgery last Sept to debulk the tumour. The neurosurgeon couldn't get it all but he did an awesome job. After that he had 6 weeks of radiotherapy and oral chemo which he coped really well with. He was offered a further 6 months of oral chemo in January  but he declined this. He had decided then that he didn't want any more treatment - a decision I've had to respect.

• Thank you. I'm afraid I've been given a rather shorter prognosis.

• So sorry to hear that.  This is such a cruel journey for all involved. 

Sending you love and light and hugs

Wee Me xx