my dad has grade 4 brain cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hello everyone, Wow I never thought it would come to this.

My dad has been deteriorating and is terminal, he is so defiant with his abilities. He is a danger to my mum and is now living on ground level of the family home. 

He hates the commode and refuses to use it so still struggling with the stairs for the toilet. Hes had many falls now one of which was down the stairs but still does it. I"ve spoken to him about the danger hes putting on my mum and himself. The carers have told him too. Understanably we want to keep him home and not send him to a care home. i just dont know what else to do or say to make him realise what hes doing.  Can anyone help xx

• Hi Myhero,

My husband has a grade 4 brain cancer too. He is now in a hospital bed in the living room and has carers twice a day. He unfortunately has severe mobility problems and can now only use a commode. He also hates it, but needs must. He is still scared he will topple over, although I am always there to help him. Its not a job anyone wants to sign up for, but its just life.

I can understand your dad not wanting to use it, because its not very dignified, but if it helps your mum to feel more at ease, then sadly he should give it a try. We are at a slightly different stage to your mum and dad, because my husband has mentioned going into a home or even hospice although originally he wanted to stay at home. This change of mind is mainly because of the fear of falling. He has had falls in the past and slid off the bed only last week. I can't move him myself and had to call an ambulance out because he had hurt his ribs.

Its a very difficult decision for your mum and dad to make, and I haven't really helped, except to say to try and convince your dad to use the commode a few times. He might just be able to stay at home for a little longer if he does.

Best wishes to you all,

Llamalover xx

• Hi again,

Depending on how mobile your dad is, is there any chance of installing a stair lift? We have one, which was a great help until these last few weeks.

• Hi Myhero,

My husband has a grade 4 brain cancer too. He is now in a hospital bed in the living room and has carers twice a day. He unfortunately has severe mobility problems and can now only use a commode. He also hates it, but needs must. He is still scared he will topple over, although I am always there to help him. Its not a job anyone wants to sign up for, but its just life.

I can understand your dad not wanting to use it, because its not very dignified, but if it helps your mum to feel more at ease, then sadly he should give it a try. We are at a slightly different stage to your mum and dad, because my husband has mentioned going into a home or even hospice although originally he wanted to stay at home. This change of mind is mainly because of the fear of falling. He has had falls in the past and slid off the bed only last week. I can't move him myself and had to call an ambulance out because he had hurt his ribs.

Its a very difficult decision for your mum and dad to make, and I haven't really helped, except to say to try and convince your dad to use the commode a few times. He might just be able to stay at home for a little longer if he does.

Best wishes to you all,

Llamalover xx