Dads dignosis this week

• 9 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hi completely out of the blue my world has turned upside down with a shock dignosis for my Dad.  He is 78 and fit and healthy in general however over the last few weeks we noticed his manorism changing he was becoming forgetful and his sight seemed off ... few gp trips and then a call A week on Monday it was thought he might if had a TA

stroke clinic sent him for MRI but it showed a mass on the right side of his brain .  We attended QMC last Monday and was basically told it was a grade 4 aggressive tumour which was inoperable and incurable things were mentioned which we really didn’t take in but they said a biopsy would be best so he signed the forms and had pre op done...  next day he said he wasn’t sure about the biopsy as he was feeling quite well (steroids) and maybe hold off for few weeks .... I had something telling me I had heard the nurse say 3/4 months so we rang her and asked what would the prognosis be if he didn’t have biopsy and it was those words .. he had maybe 3/4 months before it became life threatening but if he had the biopsy then once results came back they could look at what treatment he may be able to have ..  and then hopefully 12/14 months 

he was booked in last Friday but on Thursday he went down hill and had very bad sickness and upset tum so it was cancelled 

he’s now awaiting another call but I’ve sat looking at him all weekend and he just seems to be deteriorating and I’m not sure he would cope he’s 78 my parents have often said that they wouldn’t have treatment as they have seen some poorly relatives in the past and they didn’t want to spend months being sick etc

i just don’t know what to do 

• Hi jdkjh1

i have now has 2,weeks treatment and I am 56, was very healthy diagnosed with grade 4 brain tumour operated 11 jan - treatment is tough at my age, nauseous all the time me as oral chemo and very bloated, didd see ntvthink it would hit me as hard, difficult decision for your dad

hope dad is feeling better today 

LH65

• Didn’t think it would hit me as hard( sorry for the spelling)

• Aw I’m sorry to hear this for you and hope you have some meds for the sickness feeling , can I ask when you say operated do you mean biopsy? How did you feel after that x 

• Sorry to hear about your dad, my mother was diagnosed on my 60th Birthday Jan 23rd, because of her age they have said no treatment available. Pallative care only. I read some stories where treatment hasn’t really prolonged life , yet in others it has. My mother has been given 3 months, then 6-8  months then maybe 12 months. The truth is no one knows how ling every individual is different. All you can do is respect your dads wishes, and make as many good memories with him while you can. my it’s hard to know what to say to anyone with this devastating disease. Have they given your father any medication, mums on Dexamethasone and that perked her up . I hope it all goes well for you. It could be your dads not quite processed the diagnosis and needs time , which I understand from the families view , we want the treatment to begin ASAP so we have longer with them, but the treatment can be tough in elderly patients.. my thoughts are with you all in this difficult time xx

• Thank you for your comment and I’m sorry to hear of your sad news 

yes he’s on the same medication that you mention and he is perkier I totally want what my dad wants and will support him which ever way he chooses I’m thinking quality of his life now rather than quantity but your right I think as it’s been so quick he has not had time to take the info in 

thinking of you too 

• Op was a debulking, removal of tumour which went well. No damage to any senses, still the same as before.

• When you are ready look up as much information about this tumour type you can. It’s hard reading so wait until you are ready. I’ve done this and I feel I now know what to expect, and as I am now my mums full time Carer, I needed to know to make sure I was prepared.My mother doesn’t want to know any information or her prognosis and this is totally normal, some don’t want to know anything others want to know everything, each person deals with it their own way . I’ve have dealt with Doctors etc. You can register with McMillan, they have been a tremendous support to me . Stay strong and my thoughts are with you xx

• Sadly 8 weeks to the day of dignosis dad passed away

so so quickly 

• So sorry for your loss, my mother died April 10th , she was diagnosed on my birthday Jan 23rd . I’m still numb. It all happened so fast at the end. My thoughts are we you xx