Cancer and Allergies

• 2 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi there,

Just for background I was diagnosed with a grade 3 Oligodendroglioma back in 2021. I had surgery, 6 weeks of radiotherapy, and now I’m treating myself. But just wondered how many others here have experienced allergies issue since there diagnosis, or since treatment.

I’ve had psoriasis all my life, so I’ve always had skin problems, autoimmune, etc

But I appeared to start having these problems after I came off steroids, although I can’t be sure. But I seem to break out after anything I eat, drink or touch or anything else these days. Sometimes antihistamines work, sometime they don’t.

I decided to do a food allergies “York Test”. Turns out I have milk allergy, and an allergy to eggs. Since then, I’ve been doing my best to cut those things out of my diet, and I’ve notice less bloating than I used to have, but I’m still breaking out with skin rashes, runny nose, sneezing.

Before cancer I never had any allergy problems, and I just wondered if any of you have experienced something similar.

Thank you.

• I’d be guessing at it’s the suppression of your immune system by the treatment causing your allergies to flare up 

• It may be coming off your meds, as if mine increase, decrease or mix with a new one, I get a rash on my face etc. It could be a combination of this and hay fever.

Meds also take weeks to leave your system so it could disappear soon.