Surgery very soon…

• 2 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi, 

I’m having a 4th ventricular ependymoma removed most likely within the next month or so…
I am so so scared. I know that it’s normal to be scared and I’m sure everyone having any form of brain surgery is, but I’m worried that I’m somehow just too scared. I am thinking about it every second of every day whenever there is quiet for even 1 second… I also suffer with anxiety so I’m finding it really difficult to rationalise everything and make my mental state just calm down…

does anyone have any advice? Anything at all would help…

thank you in advance :( xx

• HI New_Laces

a warm welcome to the community. So sorry to hear about all that you're going through. It's such a lot to process no wonder you're anxious.

This is a safe and supportive space and I'm sure some of the other members will be along shortly to share their experience and words of wisdom with you. There's always someone about on here to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer a virtual hug when its needed, You're not alone. We've got you.

There's some general info on the main website that might help a little here. I looked up the link for you:

Ependymoma | Macmillan Cancer Support

Have you told your medical team that you suffer from anxiety? it might help to talk to them beforehand. If they know that you are prone to anxiety it might help them. It's best to be open and honest with them about how you are feeling so that they can give you the right level of support.

There's another link on the website about coping with your emotions that might offer some suggestions

Cancer and your emotions | Macmillan Cancer Support

There are also some suggestions about complementary therapies that might help

Complementary therapies and cancer | Macmillan Cancer Support

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. 

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi my recurrence is an ependyoma and they won’t operate as they say it’s too dangerous. But you are the second person I know of with an ependyoma being resected . Can you advise which hospital and surgeon you have ? 
    and yes th other person was fine after surgery