Meningioma

• 2 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi, this is my first post. My 76 year old husband has recently been diagnosed with meningioma following a CT scan. He had an MRI yesterday and is due to see the neurosurgery outpatients tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience of this. It is affecting his right side , he struggles to walk, and drags his leg. It started as what the GP called a drop foot. He has previously had prostate cancer from which he recovered well after radiotherapy. That was about 20 years ago. It hadn’t spread but he then developed a kidney tumour, he was given the all clear after having his kidney removed. That was about 12 years ago. I’ve been experiencing a lot of worry and anxiety, as now he is older , and I am concerned he won’t recover like he did before. What if any are others experiences with meningiomas?  I’m feeling very isolated. We have no family but some good friends and neighbours.

• Hi Boomer

a warm welcome to the online community. So sorry to hear about all that is going on with your husband. I hope the appointment tomorrow gives you some answers.

I supported my late husband through his stage 4 brain tumour journey (glioblastoma) and know only too well how worrying not knowing is. Perhaps ahead of your appointment tomorrow you might want to write all your questions, fears/concerns down and take those notes with you to act as a script/prompt while you are at the appointment. It's all too easy to feel overwhelmed at those early appointments,

This is a safe and supportive space so I am confident that others with personal experience of meningioma will be along shortly. There's always someone about here who gets it, someone to listen and someone to hold your hand and to offer a virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone. We've got you.

There's some general info on meningiomas on the main body of the website. I looked up the link for  you Meningioma | Macmillan Cancer Support

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

For now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Hi Boomer,

I only have a short time to reply but for just a couple of things:

Ask the doctor if they will let you record your meeting. I find that I can never remember every thing you have the chat about. My doctors do not mind that - although that is because my memory is rubbish since I had my op!

Write down before you go to the meeting all the things you want to say and ask about.

All the best. If you want to, let us know how it goes, but only if you want to.

Cheers,

Richard