Infection

• 3 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Following on from finishing a course of antibiotics for an infection in mid December - On Monday 1st January my husband was taken to hospital after experiencing chest pains.  An(other?) infection was found and antibiotics tried and failed.  He is now having end of life care with a focus on his comfort.  I thought I was going to lose him yesterday when the oxygen was removed.  He is still here but could go at any time.  He is asleep and looks very peaceful and strangely too well for someone about to die.  I can't help feeling overwhelmed.  I am very sad and anxios about facing life without him after 21 years together and wish we had longer to do the things we enjoy together. 

• Awh Shebelieves, I am so sorry to read this. Peaceful is good though. Being sad and anxious is only natural. I can relate to it only too well but trust me when I say you will get through this. Stay strong.

sending you love and hugs. Remember you are not alone. We're here for you.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• My husband has now sadly passed away.  

I would like to say thanks to Macmillan for running the forum and all of the forum members, because the advice and support I received over the past year has been invaluable.

My husband was two days short of surviving 1 year from his initial diagnosis.  I had so wished that he would have survived past the one year mark and we could have been together longer but at the same time he wouldn't want to spend any longer in the final stage of life.  He lived life on his own terms right until the end.  He continued to work part time and regularly went out for a drink and played pool with his mates.  He connected with people and we grew closer to our friends.  He was very brave to face up to the debulking surgery, took all his medications and all the cancer treatment and side effects - knowing there is no cure for Grade 4 Glioblastoma or cancerous brain tumors in general.  While it is the hardest thing for me losing my husband, I hope to find peace of mind in the knowledge that we respected his wishes and loved him with all my heart.

• Oh I am so sorry, Shebelieves. I have no words...just virtual hugs. 

I can relate only too well to the maelstrom of emotions you must be feeling right now. Please be gentle with yourself. take things slowly over the next few days/weeks. Like you, I am trying to find peace of mind that I respected G's wishes and did my best for him.

Please remember that this community is still here for you. Reach out anytime. You're not alone. We've got you. The helpline number is below too in case you need it.

Sending love and light and hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm